FLOOF! What do you use for a bookmark?

rob333 (zone 7a)

I typically use the receipt! Here are others I use... The fan is a gift from a visitor (from Korea, I believe it's plum blossoms), the magnet bookmark does hold on tight. My son wants to steal the kitty.

SaveComment31Like
Comments (31)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
OutsidePlaying

When I bought a lot of paperbacks or hard bound books, the book stores used to give out free paper bookmarks and I would use those. I still have some tucked away and when I read a ‘real’ book, I drag one out. I never liked the paper clip type or anything else heavy.

1 Like Save    
rob333 (zone 7a)

Kitty is plastic. It does "clip" on. I prefer it over the pretty floral one

Save    
matthias_lang

Typically, I just use a scrap of what ever paper is close at hand and expendable. I might put a different piece in every time. Book on the table behind me has a bandaid wrapper in it. Once --now prepare to laugh-- I really liked the design on a "kleenex" box so I cut it up and made multiple bookmarks out of it.

I do have one of those magnetic bookmarks, Rob, and really like it because it is thin and effective, and I don't lose it. It came in a package of office supplies I bought at a thrift store. It has a girly, pastel, vines and bunnies sort of theme declaring the marvels of friendship. I use it anyway. It works.

For one of our cookbooks, I've made one of those makers that slips into the spine and has multiple ribbons coming off it. That way I can leave permanent markers on frequently used recipes whose proportions I cannot remember.

Save    
Bookwoman

I always use a bookmark, from a pile I have from a lifetime of frequenting bookstores. My favorites are from bookshops I've been to on my travels, since they remind me of the places I've been.

2 Likes Save    
bpath

I have a shoebox-full in my nightstand, most from the bookstore or library, some made by my kids (laminated at school!), some gifts from students and friends. I also use receipts, shopping list, cards (Especially If the book was a gift, I like to use the card that accompanied it), photos.

Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

I take a fun comic strip and cut it out and "laminate" it with packaging tape on both sides.

2 Likes Save    
georgysmom2

Anything that's handy.

2 Likes Save    
Jasdip

Usually a paper bookmark from bookstores, but they're getting pretty ratty. So it could be a strip of paper, etc. Never, ever fold down the corner!!!

I don't think I've ever seen a magnetic bm. What's the purpose, since it can't stick to the paper?

Save    
arcy_gw

I have a few that were gifts over the years. Currently I use the one a bff cross stitched with my initials on it. My mom loves to give book marks...book stores always have fun ones by the resisters.

Save    
maifleur03

Most of my books are old and that type of bookmark can damage either the paper by tearing or by leaving a permanent crease in the page. If someone would happen to place something on the book that was slightly heavy the endboards could bend. I just use whatever is handy although I did find a dollar in a used book and am too cheap to do that.

Save    
ravencajun Zone 8b TX

Since I only read digital books now I use the built-in bookmarks feature. I lost my collection of actual bookmarks in the flood. I used to make my own.

Save    
Elizabeth

I remember my page number and just close the book.

1 Like Save    
matthias_lang

Jasdip, the magnetic bookmarks fold in half and there are thin magnets on both sides of the portion you would fold over a page in your book. So they grip to themselves while gently holding the page.

Save    
nickel_kg

Always paper of some sort. The library keeps a supply of brightly colored adverts for themselves (donate to buy books and/or support these services!) that work well.

Save    
blfenton

Often when I went to the library (and hopefully again soon) I would go next door to the coffee shop, buy my self a cup of coffee and start reading. The bookmark that I used was the wooden stirsticks that the coffee shop uses. They're narrow, long and really cool wood. I still have a bunch laying around.

Save    
Rose Pekelnicky

Whatever scrap of paper is nearby.

Save    
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b

I have loads of strips of cardstock & other paper trimmings from making cards and paper crafts, so I mostly use those.

Save    
stacey_mb

I have several assorted bookmarks that I have collected over the years or received as gifts. One favorite that was included in a Christmas gift from grandkids is from the Wizard of Oz movie, although sometimes I use whatever is at hand such as a receipt or scrap of paper. I volunteered (pre-Covid) at a huge used book sale to benefit our local Children's Hospital and we would find the most intriguing items inside books possibly used as bookmarks such as theater tickets, newspaper articles, photographs, tax documents, etc. when we sorted through the donated volumes. We had a box where we collected the items and a volunteer would report on these each month. I think the most cash we found in a book at any one time was $200.00, perhaps stored for safekeeping and then forgotten.

Save    
lily316

My bookmarks come from the library where I go every Wednesday. Once I found a ten-dollar bill being used as a bookmark.

Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

Elizabeth, I'm impressed! I could never do that.

Save    
sweet_betsy No AL Z7

I use Post-It flags. They stick to the page and don't fall out.

1 Like Save    
rob333 (zone 7a)

Thank you everyone! I've enjoyed the responses, it put a smile on my face.

Save    
gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)

I use a ferry ticket :-) I do walk-ons frequently and passenger tickets are little digitized, credit card sized cards. I always have a few floating around in pockets or my handbag.

Save    
sjerin

If it's my own book I often dog-ear, but if it's a library book or someone else's, I use a receipt or any handy scrap of paper. Or sometimes a kleenex.

Save    
Jasdip

Matthias, thanks for the explanation on the magnetic ones. Those sound great!

Elizabeth.....your memory?? Wow!

Save    
Elizabeth

I learned that from my college room-mate. She said if she could remember all of what she read, she could remember a page number. It became a life long habit with me once I got the hang of it.

Save    
whistle_b

I use whatever is laying around, unless it is a book that I am leading for our book club. Then I use a 4 X 6 Post-it so I have room to jot down notes as I read.

Save    
loonlakelaborcamp

I use a paint chip sample!

Save    
caflowerluver

I make my own in Photoshop. I did one for my sister of a row of her hibiscus flowers, mine was my roses. For my DH I did a couple of his 1946 and 1955 Chevy trucks pictures. Also did one of my dog Elvira and her different poses. I printed them on heavy glossy photo print paper. They have held up quite well and when they wear out I can always make more.

1 Like Save    
woodrose

Normally, I use a paper bookmark, but sometimes when one's not handy I use a piece of paper. I was taught not to dog-ear pages at school, and I still don't don't.

Save    
joann_fl

I started using the stretchy hairbands, they work great.

Save