SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sheilajoyce_gw

No Knead Bread Technique

sheilajoyce_gw
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

My brother emailed me that he and his son have been baking a NY Times recipe for no knead bread. Then my son replied that he had make that same recipe long ago and that I ought to Google it. So I did. I wasn't sure I could find yeast at the store, but I did, and set about this strange way to bake a loaf of crusty bread. It was a success, so if others find this idea novel to them too, look up Jim Lahaey's (sp?) recipe. He is a New York professional baker. The version I used called for 3 cups of flour (all purpose or bread), 1 1/4 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp rapid rise yeast (which they call instant), and 1 1/3 c water. There are other recipes out there similar to this one. You mix the dry ingredients, then stir in the water (30 seconds), cover the bowl, and set it aside for 12-18 hours in your kitchen, but out of the sun. Then you flip the sticky dough onto a floured surface, gingerly pull the sides of the dough blob into the center of the blob a few times, tucking it all into a nice ball with some surface tension. It will be a wet, stringy dough, but do not add more flour. Place that ball seam side down on a well floured (or cornmeal coated) towel (I find a Silpat works better), cover it with Saran Wrap or a towel to raise 2 hours. A half hour before it is ready for the oven, pre heat the oven to 450 degrees, placing the rack in the lower third of the oven. Also, place in the oven the covered Dutch oven you will bake the bread in. Do not grease the Dutch oven. At 2 hours of raising, pull the Dutch oven out of the oven, take the lid off, and flip the dough into the pot, seam side up. Put the cover on and return the pot to the oven for 30 minutes. Then remove the cover and bake the bread uncovered an additional 15- 30 minutes till the crust is a nice brown. Cool on a rack one hour. You will have a rustic crusty loaf of bread with a moist, holey crumb. This is not a fussy recipe, and you use up less than 5 minutes of your time giving the dough your attention.

Comments (27)