SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
prairiemoon2

Dianthus - deadheading, deadheading, deadheading...

prairiemoon2 z6b MA
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

I really enjoy the one Dianthus that I grow, 'Siberian Blues'. It reliably comes back every year. If I keep it deadheaded it blooms for a long time. I am enjoying it so much this year that I'd like to have more of it, but, I'm a little hesitant because of the amount of deadheading. It does need to be deadheaded just about daily. If you keep up with it, it's not a lot, but if other things pull you away, it's a lot. And I only have 2 plants! [g].

This year I see I have tons of seedlings. I let it go last season, busy with other things. So now, I'd like to move those seedlings into other places, but... hmmm. Just wondering if anyone else finds the deadheading time consuming and do you limit the amount of plants you use that require it?

Second dianthus question - My oldest plant is splaying open in the middle, which isn't very attractive. I'm wondering if it is because it is old, or is it going to do that anyway? If I divide it will it stop doing that? It is in full sun all day, so I'm sure it's not that.

Comments (12)