SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
eroush

to deadhead or not to deadhead

eroush
19 years ago

Hi all!

I have a small native plant garden in my front yard (after a "fortuitous" water main break caused the lawn to get dug up and I persuaded DH we shouldn't replant it:) ).

It is planted as a transition area between a meadow and a woodland, since the south side of the tree gets enough sun for grasses, coneflowers, asters and the like, and the north side of the tree is mostly shade, so I've planted wintergreen, ferns, wild ginger, columbines, etc.

So my question is, do those of you with similar plants deadhead at all? At the end of the growing season, or in the beginning of the spring?

I am trying to walk the line between what I really want, which is basically to leave everything undisturbed except for weeding, and not offending the neighbors. I don't rake the leaves, and I haven't deadheaded at all, but I am wondering if I shold just to keep the neighbors happier, since it's in the front yard. what impact would this have on the plants? I really like the look of the grass and conflowers inthe winter, covered with icicles, but I could probably live without them in the spring..opinions?

Betsy

Comments (6)

Sponsored