SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cloud_swift

Bread without an oven

Cloud Swift
3 years ago

Well, our oven has failed and it looks like it will be weeks before we can get a replacement. Apparently, COVID has interfered with production (or maybe it's the supply chain). We could have tried getting the Miele wall oven repaired, but it's needed repairs multiple times over the years. The last time it had problems was around a year ago so I'm done with it.

Only the upper oven is malfunctioning, but it's doing that by staying on continuously and running at about 300 degrees no matter what the control panel is set to so we've had to throw the breaker for the whole thing off. It failed Friday and our kids were here so we did turn it on Saturday evening to bake bread dough that was already prepared and planned on in the lower oven. By the time it was done, the oven was venting seriously hot air out of the vent under the control panel and the "off" upper oven was at almost 400 degrees so I don't think we will try that again.

So any bread for the next few weeks (which may stretch out to longer) will have to be done on the stove top, in the toaster oven or on the gas grill outside. I baked on the gas grill a couple of times during our kitchen remodel in 2007, but it required being a human thermostat to control.

I don't particularly like how bread comes out if we allow the bread machine to bake it. I think it is partly because it doesn't get the structure that comes from forming the loaf. I've wondered about getting the dough out as the final rise, forming it and dropping it back into the bucket for final rise and baking to see if that improves things.

I have one of those Dutch oven things with a flat lid with a rim around it so possibly could heat up charcoal and pile some on top with some underneath to get an oven effect.

I'm interested in any tips or recipes for making bread like things without an oven. Most other things, I can either live without, make in the toaster oven (e.g. bake off a few cookies or cook a baked potato), or do a stove top version.

Comments (15)