SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_58760076

Should an area rug for a living room extend in front of patio door?

Kristi Brennan
3 years ago

My living room/great room is 16xw by 10'. `One one side of the 16' wall is a double patio door, about 7'. The rest of that wall (9 ft) has a fireplace/bookshelves. The floor space in front of the patio door is essentially functions as traffic lane, leading to the back patio. The living room furniture is arranged in the area in front of the fireplace, with an area rug that is sized to stay within that 9' wide area. However I would really to expand the living room function of the room - place a chair in the floor space leading to the patio door. It would not interfere w access, be conversation -proximate to the other furniture pieces (and have great views out the patio door). BUT.... 2 questions:

1. would I need a larger area rug to tie the room and the furniture together, not have the chair just hanging out by itself? If so, the rug would extend in the floor space across the patio door, meaning traffic would cross the rug to use the patio. . I use the back patio quite a bit, but I live alone so not a lot of traffic.

2. Or Would it look absurd if I kept the current area run, and got as maller rug -(4x6) the exact same pattern as the current area rug - and placed it under the chair - would that tie the room together?

Thanks for your thoughts - I am new to this design process, have a hard time picturing it.

Comments (2)