SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bbcio

Front Door Opens to Living Area: Furniture & Area Rug Placement

bbcio
6 years ago

Hi! Here's the background on my situation: my husband and I live in one of our city's historic districts- think craftsman style bungalows and brick roads. We had to replace our floors about a year ago, so we took the opportunity to do some painting, organizing, redecorating, etc. My combined living/dining area is still unfinished, however, and I blame that on the weirdness created by my front door literally opening up to the only place to put sofas and other living room furniture. I haven't felt 100% thrilled with any of the million ways I've tried to rearrange that furniture, rugs I've purchased, fireplace looks, etc.

In fact, this issue is the reason we decided to redecorate and get new furniture to begin with; our first sofa was a sectional and WAY too wide for the space. It was so comfy, but it swallowed the room up and basically left us immobilized in that area- my husband SERIOUSLY misses it. A designer we consulted with recommended we purchase two identical sofas and place them parallel to one another with a rectangular coffee table in between.

We followed through with that- I don't dislike the setup... I like the symmetry...BUT, it was nice to be able to sit on the same couch as my husband to watch movies. I've never posted on a forum like this to get feedback, but I'm sick of the area feeling unfinished and not as cozy as it used to be. I would appreciate any suggestions for these few things I am having trouble getting past and can't make decisions on:

• Living Area Furniture Placement: our original, oversized sectional sofa I mentioned was positioned parallel to the "path" you'd take when walking in our front door, with the front facing the fireplace and the back creating a divide between the "entryway" and our "living area." To say that made the space a little tight is an understatement; the back of the sofa seemed to be in the way when you walked in the house, but if you pushed it closer to the fireplace/TV, you'd be straining your neck to see anything. Because of this, I was very open to doing the two identical sofas facing each other instead... but these sofas are SIGNIFICANTLY thinner and more modern/sleek than our original one... so I don't think it would be as overwhelming in the same position. My question is...is it better to walk into a house and immediately see the sides of sofas or the back of a sofa? We definitely don't have space for end tables if they're positioned parallel, nor do we have space for anything behind a sofa that would face the fireplace/tv. I've considered positioning one of the sofas facing toward the fireplace, replacing the rectangular coffee table with a round one, and doing two big cozy arm chairs on either side of the fireplace, in front of each window. I've also considered sticking with the parallel look, but replacing one of the sofas with two arm chairs. I haven't made any moves on that project because I do honestly like the identical, symmetrical look the two sofas offer. Help?
  • Rugs: I also have had a terrible time coordinating area rugs in this space... not just because I have two of the worst shedding dogs known to man (haha). Every rug I've tried either seems too close to one in another area, causing some serious clash... or weirdly placed and random, making it look bare. I had a runner, but it felt weird next to an area rug under my living area furniture. I had a rug under the living area furniture and under my dining area furniture, but because they're so close together, it feels really busy to me. It's most important for me to have one under my living area furniture... I feel like that makes it very cozy. Where else would you recommend placing one (or not placing one)? And if it's best to have one under both sets of furniture, is it better for them coordinate (made of the same material) as opposed to being different styles? My OCD is strong with this situation haha

Thanks in advance to anyone who is willing to offer advice or their personal solutions to similar situations! :) ALSO- please excuse the unfinished fireplace, multiple rugs, two different dining tables, random decorative objects, etc... proof that I have been trying lots of things out! haha.

Comments (21)