Bok choi by the bushel, any good ideas?

annie1992

There's just something about bok choi, first I have none, then I have a ton. I've stir fried it, chopped it and added it to salads, used it in soup. I don't like it grilled or roasted.

No matter how much I use, it seems like there is more waiting. Any new ideas for bok choi?

Annie

SaveComment14Like
Comments (14)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
neely

I had a lot as well Annie. Used all I could then let the few remaining plants go to flower... the bees love them as it’s winter here and not much for them around. Sorry couldn’t help with the food and Yes I put them in soups and cut up with other ‘leaves’ for salad.

Save    
plllog

Pickle?

It's pretty when stuffed, though kind of awkward to eat.

Save    
Lars

It's great for making kimchee, which I happen to love. Maybe Elery will want to use some of it for that.

This is not a new idea, however.

You might be able to use some of it for making sauerkraut, but I've not done that. I have made kimchee with it, however.

You can make stuffed cabbage rolls with it and freeze it, but that is pretty labor intensive. If you just want to save it, I recommend dehydrating it. It reconstitutes great in soups and retains its crunchiness. It's one of my favorite dried vegetables.

Save    
lindac92

Just saying bok choi made me hungry for this salad. It will only use a couple of heads....but you could give it away?
This is good with the browned noodles added just before serving and the next day when the bok cho has released some of it's liquid and the noodles have absorbed it....and if you have some toasted sesame oil, subbing a couple of tablespoons of that for the same amount of the olive oil is good.

Becky's Bok Choi Salad

2 bunches of Bok
Choi with a lot of the tough green leaves removed, put through the Cuisinart at
4 Mm. slice…or 2 MM slicer

1 bunch ( I like 2
bunches!) green onion, prepared same way

2 pkgs raman
noodles ( discard flavor packet)

1/4 c. butter and
3 T. sugar

1 small pkg sliced
almonds 2 oz

1/4 c. sesame
seeds

Break up noodles
and saute with seeds and nuts and sugar and butter until litely browned. Drain
on paper towel

Mix 1/4 cup good
quality olive oil and

1/4 c cider
vinegar

2 T soy sauce and

2 crushed cloves
of garlic...and

salt and pepper to
taste.

Toss and add
noodles, seeds and nuts just before
serving

1 Like Save    
nancyofnc

lindac92 - That sounds like a really good salad that even DH would like. Love leftovers with no fuss and this would be one of those with a slightly different taste/texture. Thanks.

Save    
annie1992

LindaC, thanks, that sounds really good and maybe the kids would even eat it with the ramen in there. I have no ramen, of course, I haven't bought any in years, I'll have to see if there is any at the store. Our stores seem to be out of things like boxed mac and cheese and boxed potatoes, but have lots of meat and vegetables.

Or maybe I could use rice noodles? Then Amanda could eat it too. I feel an experiment coming on, I certainly have enough bok choi to do that.

I did try to give some away and the neighbors took some, but I still have more.

Lars, Elery already made kim chee and he can only eat so much of it, LOL. I still haven't even tasted it, because I can't get past the smell!

Oh, and those chocolate habanero plants are doing really well, it's been in the 90s here and they are loving it!

Annie

1 Like Save    
plllog

Thanks, Linda. I've never seen a salad quite like that. Sounds good!

Save    
Lars

Glad to hear about the Habanero plants - I didn't manage to start any seeds this year because of circumstances, but I did put some of my sauce in the freezer. I made an especially large batch last year, and I should have enough to last for a couple of years, if I am frugal with it. I do have some plants that I started the year before, as they live here all year, but the chilies they make get smaller and smaller unless I put the plants in the ground, which I've not done yet, as I would have to clear a space for them.

Here's some more info on preserving bok choy. My favorite is dried, but I've only bought it dried and did not dehydrate it myself.

Save    
bragu_DSM 5

kimchee ... or a fermented slaw of some sort ...

Save    
sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)

Mine bolted just like last year along with the cilantro. Should have put a shade frame over it. If I have an abundance I blanch the green, then cut the white in slivers, blanch, ice bath both and freeze. !/4 pints or quart zips, being so wet no need to food saver. Just get the air out.

I have so much veg right now...chard, kale, leeks, radish, beets, celery, I need to deal with it all the next day or so. I have to do a big blanch or sauté like a mirepoix and freeze some portions. We add to not just soups but summer grain/bean salads, pasta salads, frittatas.

Bok Choy, celery, leek, are not on my pickling list having tried and not a favorite but very nice in a fresh slaw. And fermented sauerkraut.

Save    
Jasdip

LindaC; I make that same salad using Napa cabbage. It's absolutely a favourite.

Save    
lindac92

Ive had it with napa and plain old head cabbage....and it is good with both....but best with Bok choi.

Save    
dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m

Deep fried.

Use only the green leaves, not the white stems. Make sure the leaves are very dry. Fry in hot oil. In a few seconds, they will become crispy.

Salt to taste, add some pine nuts. Good for snack or add to salads or on top of pizza.

Careful. more habit forming than potato chips!

dcarch

Save    
annie1992

dcarch, I'd have never thought to fry it.

I did try pickling some of the stalks last year but they didn't stay very crunchy and mostly taste like vinegar. I also blanched and froze some, and I add it to soup, but a person can only put so much in the freezer. I think I'll have to try dehydrating some, I could powder that up and add it to....something. I won't consume smoothies, so that's out, but maybe my girls would.

Annie

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Gardening Guides 15 Ideas to Try in Your Garden This Year
These gardening stories were tops among Houzz readers. Which ideas might you try this year?
Full Story
Homes Around the World Houzz Tour: A Cozy Dublin Condo Full of Smart Storage Ideas
This redesigned home is packed with stylish ideas for small-space living
Full Story
Housekeeping To-Dos: Your September Home Checklist
Boost the comforts of home for fall with a few of these ideas for stocking up and staying cozy
Full Story
Inspiration for some backyard chats
Inspiration for a warm welcome
Inspiration for dinner time under the stars
Inspiration for a little quality time
Inspiration for making that best pizza ever
For nearly 20 years Grow Landscapes, Inc. has proven to be a leader in the industry in terms of design,... Read More