Fun with ... LAMB

bragu_DSM 5

Leg o' lamb for me ...

SaveComment12Like
Comments (12)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
plllog

My all time favorite since childhood is double cut rib lambchops (my mother bought by the side so they weren't price prohibitive).

Save    
chloebud

Years ago I found this delicious marinade for grilled butterflied leg of lamb in one of my Silver Palate cookbooks (SP Good Times Cookbook). I use less pepper and mint and have even omitted the mint. Still delish.

1 cup dry red wine
3/4 cup soy sauce
4 large garlic cloves, crushed
1/2 cup chopped fresh mint (or to taste)
2 T. fresh rosemary or 2 tsp. dried
1 T. black pepper coarsely ground (or to taste)
1 butterflied leg of lamb, 4-5 lbs

Combine the ingredients with lamb in a plastic bag and marinate for at least 6 hours, or preferably overnight, turning frequently.

Drain the meat, but reserve the marinade. Grill over medium high heat for about 20 minutes on each side, basting frequently with the marinade. Check the lamb for doneness after 30 minutes since butterflied lamb leg can vary greatly in thickness. Let the lamb rest for about 10 minutes before slicing.

Save    
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b

Fresh rosemary, fresh garlic, salt & pepper - that's it, always.

I finely chop all together and make a rub for broiled chops, and for a roast, I make slits all over poke in garlic slivers and rosemary sprigs, then salt & pepper. Medium rare is my fave.

I love lamb!

Wish it wasn't so hard to find nowadays. I understand that it's because we don't have a large wool industry in the US like we did once.

Save    
plllog

I love lamb but not with mint or rosemary! Everybody else likes those, however...

Save    
chloebud

Carol, we love lamb, too. I usually buy it at Sam's Club or Costco. They always seem to at least have boneless lamb leg.

Just thinking of another recipe I got from Jeff Smith (Frugal Gourmet) long ago. Remember him? This lamb stew is so tasty. I've tweaked the recipe a bit over the years. I like to use boneless lamb leg for this, but shoulder is also good. You might need to cook it a little longer.

Lamb and Artichoke Stew

4 T. butter
2 pounds boneless lamb, cubed
1 medium onion, chopped
2-3 garlic cloves, chopped
Generous 1/4 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
2 T. tomato paste
1 cup dry white wine or chicken stock, or half wine/half stock (I use a Pinot Grigio)
2 14-oz. cans artichoke hearts in brine/water, drained (not marinated in oil)
1/2 tsp. dried dill
3 T. lemon juice

Melt butter in large pot. Add lamb and saute until lightly browned. Remove the meat. In same pot, saute onions along with garlic and parsley. Return meat to pot. Add salt, pepper, tomato paste and wine (or stock). Simmer, covered, for about an hour or until lamb is very tender. You might need to add a little more stock, depending on cooking time. Add artichokes, dill and lemon juice. Simmer for about another 20 minutes. Taste for seasoning. Serve over rice or pilaf.

1 Like Save    
bbstx

I love grilled lamb chops. I love lamb stew. I love lamb! Regretfully, I’m a minority of one in my extended family.

One of the oldest known recipes is for lamb, not surprising.

Save    
gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)

While not cheap, lamb is plentiful in my area. And I love it anyway I can get it. Grilled butterflied leg of lamb rates very high, so do Mediterranean lamb kebobs (souvlaki), and braised lamb shanks. Rack of lamb is my out-to-dinner-at-a-fancy-place indulgence and if given the choice between a lamb burger and a beef burger, I'd pick the lamb :-) I also like lamb stew and Lancashire hotpot.

Save    
nancyjane_gardener

I love all lamb! We're having lamburgers tonight. Some garlic, rosemary, s&p topped with a little feta. Yum!

Save    
lindac92

One of my "why didn't I know this before" moments was discovering the lamb burger stand outside the sheep barn at the Iowa State Fair...and before that I had been eating beef sandwiches...sigh.
I love lamb in all it's permutations...current fave is Greek style butterflied boneless leg...olive oil lots of garlic...lots!...oregano and rosemary....and some lemon juice just as it comes off the grill....rare of course!

Save    
bbstx

Lamburgers with blue cheese. Heavenly!

1 Like Save    
KatieC

I did not like lamb until I had it at our favorite Mediterranean place. The owner/chef is Turkish and his Turkish plate is marinated lamb grilled medium rare , grilled eggplant with tzatziki, seasoned rice and fresh green beans cooked with a handful (seriously) of chopped garlic.,....mmmmm. I think I had been fed overcooked lamb or mutton....it was not good. Now we get 4H lambs every couple of years. One of my favorites is Merguez lamb patties with all kinds of spices and my homemade harissa. Or slow roasted leg with lots of garlic and rosemary.

Save    
chloebud

"I think I had been fed overcooked lamb or mutton...."

Katie, I've had people tell me that when I serve lamb. They can't believe it's the same stuff they remember, especially when we grill it.

We like these lamb burgers. I serve these with pita, tzatziki and a Greek salad (often panzanella). We're rarely without a block of feta at our house. I buy French feta since I find it creamier and a bit less salty. The original recipe called for half lamb/half beef, but we like them with all lamb.

2 large garlic cloves, chopped
1 small red or yellow onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
1/4 cup lightly packed fresh mint leaves, chopped
1 1/2 lbs. pound ground lamb
1 T. red wine vinegar
1 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1 tsp. dried oregano
1/2 tsp. paprika

Finely chop garlic, onion and mint. Combine in large bowl with lamb and remaining ingredients. Blend lightly with your hands until well combined. Form into patties. Cover and chill for 2 hours and up to 8 hours prior to grilling.

1 Like Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Product Picks Guest Picks: In Like a Lion, Out Like a Lamb
Take a cue from the classic adage about March with home accessories that call these animals to mind
Full Story
Gardening Guides Gardening Fun: Plant a Fairy Garden
It’s hard not to be captivated by the charm of a miniature garden in a pot. Here’s how to make one of your own
Full Story
Room of the Day Room of the Day: More Fun for a Los Angeles Living Room
Bright furnishings and a newly open floor plan give a 1964 living room suffering from an identity crisis a new look
Full Story
Austin Ganim Landscape Design offers a full range of landscape & garden design, installation, and maintenance... Read More