SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mtvhike

Ceiling fan installation problem

mtvhike
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

I recently decided to install two ceiling fans in my 16' x 50' basement media room. I had earlier purchased a "ceiling brace and box kit", so used that to install one of the fans. Two problems: 1. They are designed to be attached to 2x floor joists which are at least 16" on centers. My ceiling joists are engineered beams made of 2x3s with OSB between them. The space between two of these is less than that provided by regular 2x floor joists, so I had to modify the braces. 2. The fan has a lot of "stuff" (brackets, wires, and controller) which must be mounted in or below the box. It was very difficult to make that work, but I finally did.

I still have to mount the second fan. Are brace kits made with larger boxes?, or should I make my own "kit" with a larger metal box mounted to a 2x4? (Actually, as I was composing this, I decided that's what I should do).

Well, after the first fan was installed, I tried it out and everything seemed to be working. The circuit is a switched circuit, but the fan has its own remote control. I checked out all the functions, and turned it off for the evening. The next day, I turned it back on and increased the brightness with the remote. Then the remote quit working. I couldn't change anything - fan speed or direction, light brightness. The control box mounted in the ceiling box seems to just remember what it was last set at.

Should I call the dealer or the manufacture's help line? (The dealer is three time zones later than me, and I don't know where the mfr is). Or should I open the second fan shipping box and try the other remote (they are identical models)? Or should I assume the fan controller is defective and install the one included with the second fan? Of course, the last two options would be for diagnostics, I would expect the dealer to make good on a defective part.

P.S. added in edit: I'm using the existing basement light circuit. The builder put in plastic side-mount boxes with 12 Ga wire, which comes in to the box, then goes out to the next box. It's this through-connection, plus the heavy wire which makes the wiring physically difficult. I am using two of the three locations for the fan (I may remove the third, since it's in the same room). It's a dedicated 20A circuit!

Comments (10)