SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gargigg

what type of bed/headboard?

Gcubed
3 years ago

I’ve posted my bed/room before, but now that some furniture deliveries can happen again, I’m looking at beds. Currently have a queen adjustable bed frame with a tailored bedskirt (this one is not exact right drop length but repurposed one I had until I get my final plan). Should I just get an upholstered headboard (thinking a champagne or very light gray or greige) OR a bed like this (gas lift storage bed)? I definitely have stuff stored under my bed so it will need to be hidden (storage bed or bedskirt). I don’t like the storage bed with drawers since you are confined those drawer dimensions (and because of my built-ins, side drawers may not work).
The storage bed costs a lot more of course, and takes up more space (I have a built in across from bed too so the extra inches matter but are do-able)

Comments (77)

• dsimber
    3 years ago

@Gcubed: I thoroughly understand how temporary goes into months...or in my case, three years! I’ve purchased bedskirts that I thought would look so nice, but found them to look flimsy because they weren’t made from a heavy fabric. I hope you have better luck. I wonder if you can get the effect of the headboard in the inspiration photo by choosing a rectangular shape in white? And I totally get the concern about drilling holes into the built-ins. Might you be able to get the same effect by mounting them to the wall? If you don’t want to put those holes in the wall, maybe you could try adjustable-height swing arm floor lamps similar to this:

• Gcubed
    Original Author
    3 years ago

This pic shows bed more head on. Very little room on either side for floor lamps. I really like the sconces. But also need to figure out if there is a proper height for them before permanently affixing. I think I’ll start with headboard.
    @disimber, have you seen the ColeyHome site? They have different shapes and fabrics and welting options. Not crazy expensive so I may start there. If anyone happens to browse the site, feel free to offer suggestions for shape. I ordered 6 fabric samples.

• Related Discussions

need help selecting a bed/headboard

Q

Comments (7)
    I love the first one for a little girl and it will look great without a footboard just with that pretty headboard by itself. It will look even prettier if you have an eyelet bedskirt or some kind of bedskirt that is white. I have a bed with an Rustic Ivory Iron Headboard with no footboard due to the size of my bedroom and I am very happy I chose no footboard to make my room appear smaller with less walking room. If I had a big bedroom, I would love a footboard. I also had a Stanley Fiasco and despite missing the styling of the Cottage Revival Furniture (I loved the bun feet and beadboard sides that were really veneered wood over particle board but pretty.... I do not miss the mismatched furniture, peeling paint, spintered and chipped runner, holes in back of bureaus, and many other quality control issues) , I love the fact that my solid Maple Wood Durham Furniture (Royal Cottage in Sand White) came to me in such wonderful shape and MATCHING and did not waste 2 weeks of my time due to the poor quality control from Stanley and the Kearny, NJ store actually allowing furniture that was so mismatched in color with so much damage to be delivered to my home. I sure wish I found my new retail store in Flemington, NJ first since I am sure (based on what they told me and seeing how wonderful they were with my Durham Delivery) they would have never let furniture with that quality enter my home based on what they have told me when I showed them the pictures of the Stanley Furniture. Also The Durham furniture was ready in 6 weeks rather than 11 weeks like the Stanley Furniture.
    ...See More

What kind of bed frame to go with this headboard?

Q

Comments (1)
    You could buy a simple bed frame like ones at this link, and attach the headboard to it- https://www.wayfair.com/furniture/sb1/headboard-compatible-bed-frames-c296865-a73941~491424.html
    ...See More

Ideas for Indonesian or Indian Headboard/Bed

Q

Comments (1)
    How exciting! You’ll get a fine piece of furniture this way. Many years ago, I sold Jason Scott furniture (google for pictures of his pieces), and was lucky to be educated one on one by his reps on how the pieces were hand carved, the woods used, the backgrounds of the Indonesian artisans, the history of furniture making there. I’ve sold a lot of lines and types of furniture, but none came close to the quality and uniqueness of those pieces. Each piece one of a kind. Works of art. I’d just do what you’re doing — search the web for styles and woods you like. See if the shop owner has any other works to show you. Search Instagram and Pinterest tags. Find inspiration on sites like Chairish that may have antique/vintage pieces. Obviously, look for custom pieces for inspiration, rather than mass-produced factory lines. And put your own spin on it. :) I hope you’ll share what you decide!
    ...See More

What's My Favorite Color Of Patent Glossy Leather Bed Headboard?

Q

Comments (5)
    I chose a tufted faux leather for my guest room headboard. I was thinking of all the different heads that may sit up against it and thought the surface would clean well. Gloss night after night is not something I would want to lean against while I read....
    ...See More
  • PRO
    Design Interior South
    3 years ago

Is there an issue with the lamps on the built ins? They are proportioned well. Don't do sconces if you can't have them hardwired. If you are going to do them do them right so they look finished.

• Gcubed
    Original Author
    3 years ago

No issue with lamps on built-ins honestly, we rarely use them. I guess I just like the look of the sconces. I can’t hardwire them efficiently so it would be a plug-in with cord cover. I’ve done that it 2 other places in my home and barely noticeable, but I agree this would be trickier given the cut out area on built in. Perhaps on the wall next to headboard? Or I’ll just listen to my husband and leave the lamps! @DIS- do you have a preference for headboard shape from ColeyHome that you think will look good here? I have similar built-ins/millwork across from my bed. And this is really the only other “furniture” in the room in terms of style. The top molding is traditional. And rug next to bed, on each side. Thank you all!

• PRO
    Design Interior South
    3 years ago

I didn't look closely at their styles but if they have a notched corner one I think that would look nice. Or a camel back is a classic option. Let me see what they have.

• PRO
    Design Interior South
    3 years ago

Okay the Charles is their notched corner option so that would be my number 1 and the Whitby is a close second. Between the two is really your personal preference. Kate would be number 3 for me.

Gcubed thanked Design Interior South
  • Gcubed
    Original Author
    3 years ago

The Charles is the one I was leaning towards. Hopefully one of the fabrics will be a winner. They are 60" tall which was the upper-end of what I was looking at. Will tape it out tonight. I could keep the lamps or potentially do sconces on the walls, but assume they'd have to be next to the headboard vs over them (as 60+" is too high for task lighting). Is there a rule of thumb for this?

• PRO
    Design Interior South
    3 years ago

sconces for you are going to be tricky. There are some rule of thumbs on sconces in general but when it comes to a bed they are somewhat thrown out the window. I would first ask myself of having a wall sconce is going to give you the lighting you need. is it going to be difficult to use them if they aren't on a individual switch (preferred method) and will the cord covers you will beed to use interfere with the overall look. In your space you would need to likely use a sconce that can go above the headboard and not to the side. You don't have the room on either side of the bed. You could do them on the side panels of the built ins but likely will have installation issues where the cord will show at the bottom. For bedside lighting, especially if you enjoy reading in bed at night, the only ones that tend to give adequate lighting for that are ones with articulating arms. These are to the side which you don't have room for.

These are over the headboard

Have you ever considered having a chandelier type light installed. I can't see your whole room but I think I would do a ceiling light and then keep the lamps on the built in but maybe instead of the white ceramic you tie into the gold trim by doing some pretty gold accented or gold lamps

or an arched lamp that will focus the light towards your bed

CHATRIE 31" ROUND DISTRESSED GOLD LARGE DRUM PENDANT CHANDELIER · More Info

Monument 6-Light Entry, Gold Leaf · More Info

Modern Chic Gold Fern Leaf Chandelier, 24"x24.5" · More Info

just some ideas

• Gcubed
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I think you are right about the sconces. One of the potentials is articulating, but sideways, not down (I posted it upthread). The gold gooseneck task lamp may be the better often, something were the shade/light can be directed on a book when needed. We really don't use the lights that often. Right now I have edison bulbs in them and I painted the inside of the shade gold, so it gives a very soft yellow light. I do have a ceiling light that but 8' ceilings so don't think anything but a flushmount will work. I'm happy with the one I have. Will post later when I am home and have also taped out the dimensions of the headboard. Thank you for all your help!

• Gcubed
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@DIS- here is headboard size taped out. I think it’s good. Leaves about 5-6” from gold trim so tool small for sconce next to headboard. Probably too crowded.
    Here is my lamp on, with ceiling light off. The gold glow is mix of Edison bulb and gold inside of shade. And then my ceiling light. It’s centered in room but is over the left corner of my bed so I don’t want lower. It’s mostly crystals but has some bronze and brass.
    I think I’ll start with headboard. Then consider new metal lamps for better task lighting.

• PRO
    Design Interior South
    3 years ago

If you really wanted them you could fit them but really feel its unnecessary. I think your money could be better spent.

• Gcubed
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks for the mock-up. I'll take it step-wise and see where we land. Now I need to find a tailored bedskirt that is only 10-11" long!

• Gcubed
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@DIS- Vant panel samples came. My husband and I like the left-most champagne leather-like one the most. If we got the 60x 46” set and started them at top of adjustable bed platform, they’d reach the shorter tape line.
    The ColeyHome headboard (still waiting for samples) would be taller. Husband doesn’t really care but does prefer the sleeker panels over the more traditional ColeHome Charles headboard. And Vant is 25% off this weekend! Almost too good to pass up.
    Is that paneling too “modern” for the traditional molding/built ins or the perfect contrast to create a traditional modern room? I’m leaving towards latter idea and then would need to pick between these three fabrics (would love for Coley samples to come in next 2 days, but what’s the chance?!).

• PRO
    Design Interior South
    3 years ago

Any of the three could work. I like the textured assuming its not vinyl and actual fabric.

• Gcubed
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks. It is a fabric. It probably goes best with the Euro shams but the metallic champagne goes best with rest of room. So if I ever change up pillow covers, then the 1st goes better with rest of elements. Hoping the other fabric samples come before the Vant sale ends so I can make a decision. The panels aren’t expensive but I want to be sure before installing.

• Gcubed
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Oh, and husband and I decided we don’t use the lamps enough to install sconces. And probably would only replace what I have if I found ones I loved. I’ve looked at getting new finials (crystal, acrylic, or champagne gold), but they are expensive!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    3 years ago

I love the metallic champagne. Very versatile in case you change bedding down the line. But that’s me. I think the headboard is your chance for a bit of glam to enhance your crystal light. Size depends on whether you mount wall sconces. If so, leave yourself enough room.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    3 years ago

Your comment on sconces just popped up. So then go biggest you can.

• Gcubed
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@FloMangan, thanks for weighing in. Each 2 piece set is 23”. The typical Queen headboard size is 60”x46”. If I start at top of my platform, then 46” is the lowest tape line. If I added another set on top of this it would go to top tape mark (I don’t like that). That same height of panels (69”) from my baseboard would be the 2nd from top tape mark but then a lot is covered by the bed so doesn’t make sense.
    If I started 3-4” higher than my platform and just used 46in of panels, it would go up to the 2nd tape line from bottom (which is 60” from the floor).
    I know that’s confusing but wanted to share the options.

• PRO
    Design Interior South
    3 years ago

For lamp finials you can find great ones on Etsy for like $12 https://www.etsy.com/search?q=acrylic%20lamp%20finials&ref=auto-1

I will be shocked if you get the fabric by the end of this weekend to be honest. Fingers crossed. But if you like the Vant, its a great system that is easy to install. The metallic is versatile. It definitely will give a modern vibe but I think you will be happy with it and here is a hint......if ever you tire of that look down the road, they pop off and are no different than reupholstering a dining chair seat. A staple gun and fabric and you would have a whole new look.

• PRO
    Design Interior South
    3 years ago

Oh just read your last comment. For a headboard height I recommend doing 60" from floor minimum or else you wont even see it behind your pillows. I would go as high as possible. The higher tape mark isnt too high. In fact I would go as close to the ceiling as possible the whole back area looks upholstered.

• Gcubed
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks for Etsy link. I’ll take a look.

My husband didn’t like the all the way up look. Would like option of hanging something above the headboard if we fell in love with something (though, personally, I think the trim creates the Art per se).
    I’m leaning towards 60” from floor but starting the panels a little above the platforms. I guess if you are really looking, you can see the gap.

Still trying to find a good bedskirt. Most have 14” drop which would cause puddling. Wonder how easy it is to hem a bedskirt with pleats, etc.

• Gcubed
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Too traditional?

• PRO
    Design Interior South
    3 years ago

I think its a bit traditional but then again so is your crystal light ;-)

When I have hemmed bedskirts with pleats on my machine I have pinned pleats on place and then run a baste seam. Then I go back when everything is snug in place and iron in my appropriate hem length and then fold, iron and pin how I want it then go back to my machine and run my final finish seam then take out baste seam holding pleats in place. I cant say this is the proper way to foo it just how I have done it. Having a bedskirt hemmed by a seamstress isnt usually a gut buster in cost.

• Gcubed
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Alternatively, just brass finial.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    3 years ago

I would go high on headboard. You will be surprised how nice pillows take up height. Art is above headboards is always tricky and with your side bed units it could get too busy.

• Gcubed
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I just realized my post with the pics of the possible headboard heights didn’t post. Trying again

• Gcubed
    Original Author
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Argh! Of course the Coley fabric samples cane today- I ordered the Vant panels last night bc it was last day of 25% off sale (and they are inexpensive)
    If anyone thinks new samples are better and headboard idea is better, I can try and call to cancel the order. If I can’t, I’m stuck with it (which is fine).

With these new samples, I prefer the lighter fabric as headboard fabric and either the blue or gray for piping

@Design Interior South

@Flo Mangan

If either of you 2 could weigh in, I'd appreciate it!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    3 years ago

I like the Cole. I would go for lightest fabric.

Gcubed thanked Flo Mangan
  • Gcubed
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Flo Mangan, yes, I would use the lightest as the headboard fabric, but I like the idea that I can pick a fabric for piping the headboard. Either in the blue (that is VERY close match to my pillowcases and wall or the gray. Do you have a preference? Keeping in mind there would be about 5-6" space from the edge of headboard to the gild trim. Thank you!

I still need to call Vant to see if I can cancel the order; if I can't, all this would be a moot point!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    3 years ago

Pick color for piping you like best. If you are in US you can cancel within 3 days no matter what legally. Good luck.

• Gcubed
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I am in US. I just tried calling and office closed so I sent an email. So at least there's a record of my request! I will try. It was so cheap and free shipping, so no hopefully they will get back to me early next week.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    3 years ago

Perfect. Service is a nightmare right now.

• Gcubed
    Original Author
    3 years ago

But if I can’t cancel it, I don’t think I want to eat the cost. Unless I can sell them but that’s hard right now tii

• PRO
    Design Interior South
    3 years ago

Sorry I am late to the party ! I must say I prefer the Coley as well. Its more traditional which goes well in your space. I like the lightest fabric and think either welting works. When thinking of the welting one thing to consider is will you want blue for the long haul or do you foresee wanting to change that in a couple years? I myself am a true blue lover and have had it in my home in one form or another for 32 years. But if that isnt likely then I might consider keeping the welting neutral with the darker fabric.

Hopefully Vant will grant some grace. Its a absolute nightmare out there with ordering, availability, lead times etc. I have been trying for close to 6 weeks to get fabric for a client only to find out two weeks after the fabric decisions are made that its no longer available. Some days you're just ready to throw in the towel!

• Gcubed
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Will call Vant on Monday. The purchase confirmation says that I will get an email when the order is processed and I haven't received that yet. Let's see what happens.

• Gcubed
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Vant order successfully cancelled! I'll order the Coley headboard later today. I think I'll order the lighter fabric with the gray welting. Also got a new bedskirt and had it hemmed - it falls just above the floor now (about 1cm gap).

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    3 years ago

Fantastic!! Good choice to keep welting a light tone. It will all read neutral and that will be lasting look. Good job.

• Gcubed
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Update: new custom headboard, hemmed bedskirt, new lamp finials! I love it all! Special thanks to @Design Interior South and @Flo Mangan for weighing in.

• PRO
    Design Interior South
    3 years ago

Love it! Love the shape of the headboard with everything! So happy you are happy! Sidenote....that came incredibly fast! Lucky You! Congrats on the new updates!

• PRO
    Design Interior South
    3 years ago

Very welcome and I will file that info away for future clients . thanks for the review of it! Always helpful!

• Babs Fla
    2 years ago

Gcubed did you attach the headboard to the wall or the bed frame?

• Gcubed
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Babs Fla, neither. The bedframe just wedges it up against the wall. That's what I like about it.

• Babs Fla
    2 years ago

Thank you

• Gcubed
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@dsimber, yes, I was thinking about sconces for the sides of the built-ins but decided to stick with the lamps. Other little projects came along. I've been following your thread; good luck with your new place.

• dsimber
    2 years ago

Oops! I should not have deleted my question! You're really on the ball. Immediately after posting, I was able to scroll back and see that that those sconces were mockups. I think your use of lamps is great!

Would you please share the source of your headboard with me? I need a couple more.

Glad that you are following my thread. Hope my indecision doesn't drive you crazy!!! Please let me know what you think!!!

Happy Thanksgiving!

• dsimber
    2 years ago

Oh! I see it now! Coley Home! Are you still happy with it?

• Gcubed
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@dsimber, Yes, still love the Coley headboard. Still clean, no pulls or pilling or anything. And maybe lead time isn't too bad since it's made in NC

• dsimber
    2 years ago

Thank you!!!