SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
101newkitchen101

Color Cast dilemma. Everything is green!

101newkitchen101
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Slowly working my way through my kitchen decisions. Planning to add two new windows to my kitchen. NE facing, but we’re in a forest of trees so we won’t get much light. But it’s a nice view.

Problem is, everything on that side of the house where we already have windows turns green! Mostly in the summer months (about 5 months) but it’s really, really green. Once we put the windows in the kitchen, the kitchen will turn green too.

Would this bother anyone else?

This is the room that faces that direction. This room is NOT painted green!

And here is my potential cabinet color as I move it around the house. These are all the same color, a light gray almost identical to mindful gray. See how green it gets when it gets Window light from that side of the house?

Would this be a reason you’d hesitate to add windows?

Comments (61)

• J D
    3 years ago

Idk why some companies have low e glass w green tints. My windows are perfect and almost completely clear looking inside and out and are low e

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    3 years ago

Using a 1000-K LED bulbs will make the green even worse.

• Related Discussions

Green Cast -- any tricks?

Q

Comments (9)
    I assume this is low-E coating. I just had new windows installed as part of an energy audit we are taking advantage of in our state and they all come with this tint. There is some variation as to how tinted they are, based on the manufacturer and the U factor. Personally, I recommend significant consideration of energy efficiency before switching out the windows or removing coating (which I am not even sure is possible). You could probably just replace the glass, not that I recommend it. I'm adjusting to our low-E triple-panes after making the decision to move forward with the project despite not loving the look of these windows. We did a lot of research and decided the pros outweigh the cons, i.e., noise reduction, reduced heating bills, etc. Windows are such a major cause for energy loss... From the inside, mine don't cast green so much as perhaps gray. It's hard to describe, it's more like the view isn't like looking through crystal clear glass. Because we have some of the old windows in still, being mid-project, I can compare one to the other. People who have gone before us consistently said they adjusted and don't even notice the difference any more. I have to say, the sound reduction alone has been pretty amazing. I get it, though. It still feels like a compromise to me and isn't my preferred look from the outside or the interior. Sometimes it's hard to try to be green(er). Have you experimented with the lighting in your rooms? Even changing out lightbulbs can make an amazing difference. What are you using for window treatments? I'm not sure what to recommend for wall colors, I haven't noticed the window replacement impacting how my walls look.
    ...See More

Tell me everything you know about BM's Linen White

Q

Comments (8)
    Ooh thank you Barb!! I also have brand new carpet on your staircase that is a pale "almond" color which really translates to a pinky beige undertone I guess but when I hold the linen white swatch up to it,it does not look bad against that so it seemed as if it would be pretty versatile without clashing too much. Maybe that is wishful thinking though. But it looks good when i also hold it against my sage green couch and my creamy yellow cabinet.
    ...See More

Dilemma of a green shingle roof and old siding

Q

Comments (7)
    Thanks Denita. Ac is coming out when central air is installed next month. That was a garage converted to a room so it looks odd. When I eventually re do the exterior everything will be uniform. I like the classic white and black ccombo but was really hoping to go darker. That pic was before I bought the house. Already started changes on landscaping. Will Post update.
    ...See More

Interior wall color dilemma - 90's house update

Q

Comments (5)
    Hire a color consultant for advice. I don't think the current white is right--too much contrast--but there are warmer whites and other colors that will bring out the beauty of the wood. Here's a great, classic Houzz article on wall paints that work with wood. Your floors are beautiful and echo the wood trim. https://www.houzz.com/magazine/11-terrific-paint-color-matches-for-wood-details-stsetivw-vs~9025200
    ...See More
  • J D
    3 years ago

Why? Wouldn’t the red neutralize the green. It was just a guess

• J D
    3 years ago

Since red is opposite the color wheel from green

• J D
    3 years ago

Also sorry I wasn’t arguing with you about the window thing. Was just saying it’s weird that some companies can do it better than others.

• oberon476
    3 years ago

All triple silver LowE coatings have a green hue, it's about the physics involved with solar heat gain control.

Although not identically noticeable, some greens are more green than others, green is a given..but i have never seen green like the OPs pictures above.

• User
    3 years ago

it really seems like in your case, the surrounding trees and greenery are affecting your interior color. think about it -- if it gets worse in the summer, that's because there's more greenery and less snow. (whereas if the fault was with LoE windows, the color would improve in the summer as the sunlight gets brighter. the weaker the natural light, the more noticeable the LoE tinge becomes.) makes sense?

here's a blog post about the author's greenish living room (a result of the trees outside), and the paint color she chose to counteract it: https://mariakillam.com/choosingwhite/

• User
    3 years ago

by the way, I feel your pain. I thought I was having the same problem with a LoE skylight that was making my bathroom strongly blue toned. it turns out the glass wasn't really the issue at all. the problem was that the skylight is always in the shade. (if you ever look at a shadow falling across a white building on a bright sunny day, you may notice that whatever is in the shadow appears more blue.) on cloudy days, the light coming into the bathroom was diffused and no longer blue.

so my point is, I thought it was the LoE glass, but I was wrong. there is a subtle tint, but not really enough to make that big of a difference or else everybody would be complaining about it all the time.

ultimately, I chose a paint color like the one in the blog post I mentioned above. it's a cream with the most subtle pink undertone. it helped quite a bit and over time I got used to the blueness. honestly I think it's one of those things that only I notice because I'm super color sensitive.

• 101newkitchen101
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks so much everyone!

The windows were here when we moved in, and they look regular. I think I’ve seen the green tint spoken of, but these appear clear.

It’s mainly because the sun hits these trees and just blazes a green reflection into the room. It doesn’t get a lot of light, but when the sun is reflecting on them it’s glows everything green.

It does combat it a little bit when i turn the light on. I use just regular bulbs as of now...not led. I can look into the color of them, but it’s mostly the worst during natural lighting, without lights.

I was just wondering if this would be anything that would discourage anyone from creating another room with such a strong color cast. I know once I add two windows into the kitchen it’s going to be green too!

• 101newkitchen101
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Here’s the actual room color, a rich gray.

• 101newkitchen101
    Original Author
    3 years ago

And this is how it looks in the room with the reflection. My camera is accentuating it a little more, but it’s still really green!

• 101newkitchen101
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Ugh. I really want the windows. I hope I don’t regret it!!!!

I don’t hate the green cast In the dining room, but I’m just not sure how I’ll feel once this same light is overpowering my kitchen too.

I do think it’ll be better in the kitchen because i have more light fixtures, so hopefully that’ll dilute it a lot more than in the dining room.

• User
    3 years ago

if you installed more windows and all of your rooms took on the same green cast everywhere, I think it may become less noticeable because there's nothing to compare them against. your eyes might adjust. does that make sense?

Step one: paint that grey room. who knows, there may be a green undertone buried in that grey paint that you just can't detect. colors are sneaky! try the pinkish white that's described in the blog I shared previously.

Step two: sheer curtains? filtering the light may help. maybe. you can always return curtains.

regarding lighting: most incandescent and LED bulbs are in the yellow-to-blue color spectrum, so that's not going to help fix green. being a color sensitive snob, there are two products I adore:

1. in the bathroom, I use GE reveal LED bulbs. they have the most subtle rosy/violet tint. really subtle. the don't actually look pink. you know how purple shampoo makes brassy blond hair look less brassy? these bulbs do that for your home.

2. I just installed HUE bulbs in my living room and OMG. if you get the full color bulbs, you can tweak them until you reach perfection. even better, I can program them to be cooler during the day and warmer at night. and you can control it all from your smartphone! (there are also wall switches for when you don't feel like that.) expensive, but I am in love.

• H202
    3 years ago

Bad news for you: I think the grey wall is your problem. Which means it’s going to be an equal problem. I’m the kitchen. I think the grey and green share undertones that wouldn’t be as harsh with another paint color.

• J D
    3 years ago

BF i never suggested yellow or blue light what. I suggested reddish so very warm. Green is opposite the color wheel to red, so I’m thinking the red light will neutralize the green light.

• J D
    3 years ago

Making it less green, more yellow, which a lot of people like in their homes. And it would be better than green

• J D
    3 years ago

Like I said, a yellowish hued light, which many people like and I think would be way better than green. Mixing light is different than mixing paint colors so you will end up with yellow I’m guessing, definitely not brownish like mixing red and green paint would make. I’m just trying to back up my theory lol

• Anna (6B/7A in MD)
    3 years ago

I’d take the green over all that gray any day.

• 101newkitchen101
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Ugh. Well, the gray walls can be painted, but the problem is I’ve FINALLY chosen the cabinet color in the kitchen. Guess what color it is??!

Gray. :(

Now I’m second guessing everything again.

I’m going to read through these comments again and check out the blog.

But uggghhhhh. I was so close to the end and I take forever with decisions. I was either going to go with gray or white, but I just felt like whites can tend to look drab when you don’t have lots of natural light.

• 101newkitchen101
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I know gray can be drab too, but I just didn’t like the shadows on the white door samples. They gray absorbed the light better. I don’t know.

Here was my inspo board.

• 101newkitchen101
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you @JD. Nothing like learning the science behind it all!

• 101newkitchen101
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I know it’s pretty monochromatic, but I think I just always veer towards that. Always have.

• 101newkitchen101
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I’m just wondering what I’ll think of the peachier color throughout the long winter! Haha! I may try painting a board.

I can’t believe how much different it looked in the room (in the blog posts). Crazy!

I won’t be able to paint my cabinets though! I’m going to leave the samples in the green dining room for a few days to see how they look.

I realized it might not be as green in the kitchen because I have a sink window (not facing that direction) and also a sliding door. Hoping this brings in other light to balance the green.

Would you guys scrap the window idea? Or just use the color wheel and good lighting to combat it?

• J D
    3 years ago

If you already have windows in the kitchen, I don’t think you NEED to add more. In your rendering, is the sink on the wall we can’t see?

• J D
    3 years ago

Ah never mind. I see where it is. I think you could get away with keeping the one window but just making it bigger. What direction is the existing window facing?

• julieste
    3 years ago

I like the idea of windows. We have a place where there were no windows, and we installed windows there; it is so much better now.

Are you installing new kitchen cabinets, or trying to keep what you have now? Frankly, I prefer the wood look you have now to painted. Have you thought about getting a light natural maple or ash or rift sawn oak cabinetry? I think that might be a better solution than painted grey or white.

Finally, and most important of all. We just bought a place that is in a jungle-like setting with a gorgeous view, and it has a wall of windows that faces north. I too was having problems with that greenish cast coming in and had a terrible time picking a paint color for our master bedroom because the light and the green keep making the appearance change. I had thought I wanted a very soft greyed aqua green color for the walls. However, every sample I tried painting just jumped up in intensity and turned really blue because of the outside greenery. Through the process of elimination after buying at least a dozen different color samples, I finally ended up with a color that I never would have imagined choosing. Valspar Shoreline Haze. It is more yellow toned beigy. And, it works.

While in the process of choosing various paint colors, I discovered this great website to help figure out (once you are already close to getting a feel for what color you want) to find exactly the hue you need to achieve the effect you want. https://encycolorpedia.com/e3dcae

Good luck.

• 101newkitchen101
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks @JD.
    The sink wall faces se, so it does get more light than the range wall. But only in the morning. There’s still a lot of trees and as the sun moves over the house it also loses all light. It’s crazy, but with all the shade and trees we are usually needing to turn kitchen lights on in the late afternoon/early evening because it gets so dark and shaded in the rooms at the back of the house. I like the forest and trees, but that’s one con...it makes the house really dark.

We considered enlarging the sink window at first. But with the U shaped kitchen, I felt like opening that back wall really transforms the space even more. Houzzers showed me an amazing transformation of another kitchen just like my layout where they added windows in the same spot and I fell in love with the idea.

The green is the con, but the plus is that that side of my house is my absolute favorite view!!!! I do know I will enjoy looking out those windows.

And I keep telling myself here in the Midwest we only have green leaves for
    5 months out of the year.

Here’s the layout:

• 101newkitchen101
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Early in the day, the green room isn’t as green:

• 101newkitchen101
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I have the gray door samples set in that room now to watch them for a few days just to see. I can combat the walls, but the cabinets will be what they are.

• 101newkitchen101
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Here’s the room currently.

Side note, I know I probably shouldn’t keep the island. We’ve had it for years and I’m used to the narrow spacing, so even upon reflection I’ve decided to keep it. I’m used to the 37” spacing and find the workspace valuable to me. Houzz helpers offered some different options for me, but I’ve decided to just go with what I’m used to. Just mentioning because I know it’s the first thing that’s noticeable as maybe not the most efficient use of space. :)

• apple_pie_order
    3 years ago

Add the new windows. Consider light blue cabinets instead of gray. You can bring in some foamcore board painted with various blues. Aiming for a robin's egg blue would be pretty.

I would also consider some judicious pruning of branches that overhang the new windows. Many people are comfortable in a sunny clearing surrounded by trees, others prefer the shelter of trees. It's a personal preference.

Thurman St. · More Info

Cottage Kitchen · More Info

• 101newkitchen101
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@julieste I have a bathroom that faces that same direction and I always notice it’s not “as” green as the rest. I always thought maybe it had less leaves directly in front of the window, but it’s literally almost the same color as the shoreline haze. (Was painted before we moved in) I’ll bet it has everything to do with that specific paint!

• 101newkitchen101
    Original Author
    3 years ago

My husband doesn’t interfere too much, but he did let me know he’d prefer to have a neutral cabinet. I know I don’t want this warm wood, but I could probably consider a stain maybe. To be honest though...this is my first kitchen Reno and I’ve always wanted painted. I’ve never had them. I’ve been envisioning painted for the longest time. I’ll have to think on that.

• 101newkitchen101
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Well, it does look like the gray sample cabinet is handling the gray a tad bit better than the wall paint in this room. This paint is definitely accentuating the green cast, that’s for sure!

• 101newkitchen101
    Original Author
    3 years ago

My front window has nw window and it’s sending a little light into the green room. These two door samples are the same color...funny to see how different they look. The front door has some west light hitting it.

I think this will work in my favor in the kitchen a bit then because my sink window will let some light in to balance the green.

• 101newkitchen101
    Original Author
    3 years ago

We just did a tree trim in the fall, but i think we could probably trim back a little more. These maples are the ones that seem to be throwing off the most green.

The green room in all the photos is the middle window.

• J D
    3 years ago

If the windows you’d add to the kitchen were northeast facing, would they really get that much light? North doesn’t get much light, and as you know east gets more in the morning. Do you agree? If it were me, I’d enlarge the existing window a lot and not add the others because I would be so angry w the green cast and also one window in a kitchen is enough imo. You could use the space for extra storage were you would’ve put the windows. I know it goes against everyone else’s opinion

• 101newkitchen101
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Bad lighting at this particular time of day, but this is my favorite view from the house, and why I’d enjoy having kitchen windows face out this way. It’s nothing spectacular, just a little swampy pond.

It’s pretty green out there in mid summer, that’s for sure!

• J D
    3 years ago

Maybe I don’t cook enough to think it’s worth it for a view next to a cooktop. I get wanting a view at the sink, but to me I’d only really need a view in a living room etc. don’t get the kitchen thing

• 101newkitchen101
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Anyway. Hoping having the windows and enjoying the view will be worth the green issues. Once we cut out that brick there’s no going back. Which is scary to me...haha!

• J D
    3 years ago

It’s about what’s worth it to you! Makes sense:)

• 101newkitchen101
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@JD

Yes, you’re right. Good points. Hmmm. Yes, the kitchen gets the angled se light in the morning. After that, not much at all...it’s really dark. And these range windows wouldn’t be adding much in terms of light because they’re ne. With the trees blocking it, they barely get any of the morning light. It would be some light, but mostly view and openness I guess.

This was the kitchen that someone posted that gave me the idea to do the windows by the range. I thought it was a great transformation.

Now you’ve got me thinking. I think both my husband AND the cabinet lady will kill me if I flip flop back to a larger sink window. Haha!!!!

• J D
    3 years ago

Never be afraid to change your design cause you’re paying for it! But none of us can tell you if you need the view or not...that’s up to you! If you cook a lot, maybe you’d love have something nice to look at :)

• apple_pie_order
    3 years ago

What happens to the appearance when the maples turn red in the fall? Everything turns reddish?

• 101newkitchen101
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Oh geez. The kitchen lady has let it be known she doesn’t like indecision or kind changing. This isn’t someone I’m paying...she designs at the cabinet store. But that’s a whole other frustrating topics, lol.

I believe those leaves turn yellow, but it’s for such a short time I’ve never noticed. I’m sure they cast a yellow glow though...no way they wouldn’t!

• User
    3 years ago

the "cabinet designer" is being paid... by the cabinet store. you are a paying customer, and this is an expensive project. don't take advantage of them of course, but don't be afraid to change your mind.

when it comes to picking colors: unfortunately sometimes what you really want just might not work in a space. I wanted my bathroom to have white countertops and teal tile, but the natural lighting in there is too blue for that so I compromised.

as far as choosing a peachy-red undertone paint for your grey room: you said you'd be worried about it in the winter. I think it would look lovely -- warm and cozy. we're not suggesting anything with a noticeable peach undertone.

• julieste
    3 years ago

For what it is worth, the two windows we added are on the north side of the house, and it dos make a big difference. We had to cut through stucco to put them in.

• Kaytee
    3 years ago

If you really enjoy that view the new windows would give you, I would put in the windows. Work with paint samples to decide on wall and cabinet color choices, during different times of day. Your hostas are beautiful!

• User
    3 years ago

I agree. get the windows. I'd way rather have bigger views and more sunlight. the color cast problem can be mitigated.