Spam, spam, spam, spam...from a can

fawnridge (Ricky)

What was the last thing you made with Spam?

For me, it was and always will be a sammich. Fried spam on toasted rye bread with mayo and a slice of tomato. There's a reason my cholesterol is as a high as it is today.

SaveComment28Like
Comments (28)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Lars

It's been a while, but I think I made a spam salad, sort of like a deviled ham salad. Or else I put it in an omelet like they do in Hawaii. I do not make it into sandwiches - unless I make it into a salad first, and it will have a lot of celery, onion, and pickled carrots.

2 Likes Save    
naturegirl_2007 5B SW Michigan

I bought my first Spam in a long, long time (actually another brand of similar product) early this year with plans to use it on a camping trip. Well, COVID came and the camping trip was off. We ate it very thinly sliced and fried till almost crisp. It was a side with breakfast eggs. I'm not in a hurry to buy more.

Save    
nancyjane_gardener

Our neighbor used to do Superbowl themed parties. I can't think of what football team would be related to spam, but we made a spam football stadium with olives being the people in the stands, possibly spinach dip as the field and spaghetti as the lines of the field.

2 Likes Save    
sushipup1

Maybe once 50 years ago.... and I promised myself never ever again.

Save    
roxanna7

Okay, I admit it -- I love Spam! I only make sandwiches, tho I have once or twice had it fried crispy along with scrambled eggs... Salty goodness, oh, yes!

1 Like Save    
annie1992

Nope, I had it once when I was a kid and it just tasted like salty, gelatinous goo. When I "grew up" and was in my 20s I tried it again and it was just as bad. I bought some the third time when my teenaged daughters wanted to try it. They don't like it either, LOL.

We did try slicing it and frying it, and then making a sandwich spread with mayo and sweet pickle relish, but I just never got past that texture...

Annie

Save    
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b

I'm not even sure I've ever tasted it.

Hubby loves it though. He just eats it right out of the can 😝

Save    
Olychick

I grew up with it in the house. Not all the time, but once in a while. My husband loved it, but I would seldom buy it because it's so bad for you. I hated it when I was a kid if it was heated until crispy like some of you are describing. I could eat it heated but not browned at ALL and then stirred into scrambled eggs. It would be too intense to imagine in a sandwich for me. Although we did used to eat canned deviled ham, which is probably similar if Spam were made into a pate', lol.

Save    
linda campbell

I was a kid during the WW II rationing years....so I sure had Spam. Fried like bacon, in a sandwich like ham and baked whole with pineapple and cloves and raisin sauce pretending it was ham. Hadn't had any in likely 65 years and bought some a few years back......just for kicks.

Nope!! even the dog didn't like it, put it out for the possom or raccoons.

Save    
Jim Mat

I am in my 60’s, I have family from Hawaii. Spam was inexpensive, non perishable, and available.

Some Spam with Japanese/Hawaiian seasonings with rice is a childhood comfort food, maybe similar to meatloaf and mashed potatoes are comfort foods to others (and me too!)

2 Likes Save    
Islay Corbel

Aarrgghh. My mother used to feed that to us as children. Vile.

Save    
laceyvail 6A, WV

Never ate it. Never plan to.

Save    
Lars

Spam Festival in Hawaii has been cancelled for 2020.😢

Save    
ediej1209 AL Zn 7

DH used to have it when he was a kid and got to thinking about it so we bought a can a couple of weeks ago. Last time ever. Nasty super-salty yuckiness!!!

Save    
Elizabeth

I bought a can for old-times-sake a few years ago. I got the Lite for less guilt. I made a simple sandwich like I had in childhood and expected it to be good. It was awful. Salty and gelatinous. Never again.

Save    
WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a

I still like Spam occasionally; probably not more than once a year.

Save    
donna_in_sask

Spam is luncheon meat but not all luncheon meat is Spam. The brand name Spam is actually quite good (we buy the Lite which has less fat and salt). People who say they dislike Spam, make sure it's not just any old cheap luncheon meat that you can buy for 99 cents a can. Spam is actually not that cheap. My husband won't touch the stuff but I suspect it's because his mom bought the cheap stuff when he was growing up. We slice it thin and pan fry it...eat it just like that or put it in toasted sandwiches. I've made Spam musubi also but not for a while.

Save    
Lars

You can use minced Spam in place of salt when making scrambled eggs - just don't add too much. Yes, it is salty, but so is ham, and eggs generally do need some salt.

1 Like Save    
sheilajoyce_gw

I remember fried Spam sandwiches for lunch in the late '40s. I thought it was good back then.

1 Like Save    
bragu_DSM 5

Sizzle ... Pork ... And ... Mmmmm

too salty for me. A gummy ham ...

Save    
Islay Corbel

The best thing about spam is the Monty Python spam sketch.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2hwqlw

1 Like Save    
Marilyn_Sue

Yes, a spam sandwich is good. I keep on hand.

Sue

1 Like Save    
LoneJack Zn 6a, KC

Not since the 60s or 70s. If I am forced to have mystery meat make mine Bologna.

1 Like Save    
bbstx

As my nephew was leaving Hawaii, he had Spam musabi and green tea for breakfast. He deemed it “not bad.”

Save    
Jamie

My parents like Spam but I could never stand the smell or to even look at it as a kid or as an adult. Even thinking about how smells makes my stomach churn hahaha

Save    
cookebook

Mom fed it to us a lot as kids. Always fried. I like it but haven't had any in a while. I remember it being good fried on a grilled cheese sandwich.

1 Like Save    
bcskye

Still a regular here. I like it fried crispy. Recently, I tried the Spam grilled cheese sandwich the company has in their recipes and didn't like it. Favorite is fried spam with a side dish of green beans and diced potatoes. My grandmother always fixed that for me when I was younger. And she cooked the beans and potatoes with bacon grease added for flavor. Yes, fat, fat, fat, but I've outlived everyone in the family except her. She lived to be 96.

Madonna

1 Like Save    
bbstx

Someone on a FB group I follow just posted a picture of Brown Sugar Spam with rice and Banana Sauce (described as a Filipino sauce similar to ketchup).

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Kitchen Design Kitchen of the Week: What a Difference Paint Can Make
A bold move gives a generic Portland kitchen personality without a major overhaul
Full Story
Kitchen Design 20 Kitchen Must-Haves From Houzz Readers
We asked you to tell us your top kitchen amenities. See what popular kitchen features made the list
Full Story
For Pros Have You Protected Your Firm Against Cyber Threats?
The tips in this webinar can keep your team and important data protected from online threats
Full Story