SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sringarika_pandey

How much should I water roses in 4 gallon containers?

I got a bunch of roses few days ago and I have been looking online to figure out how much to water them. Some websites said you should water 1-3 gallon water once a week. So i planned on doing that but a few of my rose bushes have been wilting and drooping lately (koko loco, gertrude jekyll (was planted from bare root this season and only has a few branches), I notice eglantyne's leaves are kind of wilting as well on the top). I am also noticing some yellowing of leaves at the bottom for beverly.

What am i doing wrong? I called the nursery where I got them from and they said i am definitely under-watering them. I told them I am watering around a gallon and a half every week and they said they water roses a LOT every day and need to be watered a lot everyday. She said the pot needs to fill with water and drain down well so that the soil is moist completely and that I should check the condition fo the soil every morning before watering them. I did give koko-loco a good drink and it is doing okay now (still not at its best). I am scared of over-watering them too.

Please help!! I live in Los Angeles and they get good sun everyday. Is the direct sun too hot for them thats causing them to wilt and slightly burn their leaves (I see that happening for eglantyne)? Should I keep my roses in part shade?

Please help!!!

Comments (12)