SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jenj

Window Shades for a Unique Coastal Home

jenj
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

We have a unique home that I am struggling to select window shades for. The house gets a lot of sun and does not have central a/c. It only has two mini-split units. So we need to purchase solar shades, especially for the west side of the house so that we can keep the house comfortable in the summer. I am overwhelmed with choices and can't find anything that feels quite right.

Requirements/Questions:

1. I want to stay pretty neutral, modern and simple. The walls throughout are all juniper wood so we have a ton of texture and warmth already. Would simple white shades be too stark against all the wood?

2. Technically, I need shades for 4 different rooms - den, upstairs landing, bathroom and bedroom. But the house is small and VERY open. If you can see multiple rooms from one vantage point, does that mean all the shades should match?

3. Not all the windows are the same color and type. There are newer windows that are white and older windows that are stone colored. But one shade needs to accommodate both.

4. Six of the shades are for windows 16' in the air so remote control is a necessity. I've read about battery operated, hard wired (requires drilling holes in window frames and running electric) and solar (Smith and Noble).

5. Are solar shades and blackout shades the same thing, in effect? Does getting "lined" shades equate to the same blocking of heat that a solar shade does? Or do they perform differently?

Does anyone have experience with the different ways of doing this and have a preference?

Photo #1 shows the living area just to show the style of the house and our aesthetic. Warm, comfortable, clean and modern.

Photo #2 and #3 show the two types of windows I'm dealing with that can be seen from the same vantage point.

This is an enormous investment that will dramatically impact the feel of the house so I'm terrified of messing it up. All opinions and suggestions greatly appreciated!

Comments (19)