SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kathleen_smith6227819

Anyone know what to use to get paint off of brick?

Kathsgrdn
3 years ago

Or what appears to be cheap spray paint off an aluminum (at least that's what it appears to be) window? After taking down my shutters and cutting down the giant bushes in front of two of them, I noticed red paint streaked on the brick below where the shutters used to be. I'm thinking it is spray paint? What can I use to removed it without damaging the brick?

I went up to the large window in front that I decided not to replace right now and ran my finger over the paint...and it was like a powder that came off on my finger. Can I just wipe them down and get a good paint to repaint them? Or do I have to completely take the old paint off with some type of paint remover? I've never painted aluminum. The inside part is wood. It's peeling really bad and after looking at it I may just go ahead and replace it depending on how much it costs. The thought of scraping all those nooks and crannies and then taping it all off to paint it doesn't sound like fun.

I also signed the contract to get the roof and the porch done, today. Will wait until this is all done to do the windows. Thanks for everyone's opinions on roof colors. I went with charcoal after driving through many neighborhoods and looking at a bunch of roofs. All the other colors looked streaky except the darkest ones. I also decided to replace all the gutters with white ones to get rid of the dingy brown painted ones. I'm thinking of painting the garage door white and getting a white door to match. My daughter is still trying to talk me into lime washing my brick, then entire thing. I dropped her off at her house this evening because she was having work done on her car and they had to keep it overnight. She took me through a neighborhood in Lexington with a couple white painted brick homes. They were cute but older, and more cottage-like than mine.

Comments (9)