SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
1929spanishgw

Lamp Post 2.0, A Long & Enlightening Tale

1929Spanish-GW
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Thanks to everyone for your input on my last lamp post. I had a pot of cash in my PayPal account from selling stuff on eBay and became obsessed with lamps that I saw while helping a friend prepare an apartment for sale that had been shown in Architectural Digest. I'm one of the many people on here that should NEVER see things we can't afford because they are always the very best things. And I want them.

This apartment was an Asain Meets Moderne feel and I was given a couple fabulous small pieces from the design. My current floor lamps are Pottery Barn Meets the Early 90's. And one of them is broken and leaning (left, because we are in California).

What struck me most about the original lamps was everything....wait, I mean they were beautiful gilt bronze, tripod simple tall floor lamps. They looked like this (with better shades) and have an estimated value about 10x my budget. They were also probably way too tall for my furniture, but I didn't care because ours was a love that no-one needed to understand.

So I saw these on Chairish/1st Dibbs and that kicked off my last post. Again they were gilt, slim, tripod and had a bit of a Spanish flair. We could have been beautiful together. Turns out they were priced per item and about 3x my budget.

So last night, because I can't quit decorating, I was on my 1,200th lamp search of the day when I learned that The RealReal sells FURNITURE! Yes, I said FURNITURE! Who knew.

I don't particularly trust them to sell authentic handbags, but I was all in on furniture. And then I found these - gilt iron, tripod, vintage, the correct height for my furniture - AND they fit in my budget! Meet my new lamps!

My new lamps will be joining the following items in my living room.

The living room furniture (minus one chair and plus a temporary "puppy" rug). They will go on either side of the sofa. We have the new rug rolled up behind the couch right now and are close to putting it out. Those Asian horses were part of the apartment that kicked this whole Flight of Fancy off. I have not said out loud that the rabbit hole we're heading down will have something to do with side tables. Better get some more auctions going on eBay!

I'm replacing the painting with this 1940's mirror from my Grandmother.

I will share photos when it all comes together - hopefully like it is in my head because I don't want to have to explain to DH why we have to move to a new house and replace all our furniture when the new lamps don't work out the way they should....

ETA: That fireplace is fake. We don't even have a chimney.

ETA#2: That crack on the wall next to the mirror is real. Our dining room is probably about to collapse.

Comments (13)