SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
esther_opal

Roughing up hosta roots a 'Old Wives Tale' told in 3 parts

esther_opal
16 years ago

References have been made, in some circles to Bob Solberg writing about "roughing up" hosta roots.

I hadn't seen any such writing so I contacted Bob Solberg, he said rather than roughing up roots he treats them very gently.

A university professor said he knew of nothing like this in scientific writings to support "roughing up" monocot roots and he also treated roots very gently.

I also called Tony Avent to discuss "roughing up" roots; I quote Tony "I donÂt rough up roots and can find no reason or advantage to do anything that would damage monocot roots." We went on to discuss mature clumps (7 year plus) and "fairy rings" that IÂll discuss later.

I think this "old wives tale" has its origin in the need to cut tree roots with pot grown trees that have begun to circle in pots. In this case the roots can girdle other roots called "root girdling". This has nothing to do with hosta whose roots grow something like tap roots and any damage or loss of those roots is a loss to the plant. Root girdling will not occur with hosta in the same sense that it does with woody plants like trees.

Tony and I also had a chance to talk about the soil, a subject dear to my heart, he teaches a soil science class at North Carolina State and finds it hard to make people understand that feeding the soil is the secret and using chemical fertilizers in the soil carries many problems all the way to a net loss.

I say this clearly, treat hosta roots gently and cause as little damage as possible.

Comments (34)