SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19691726

Revisiting the idea of a pea gravel yard ...

User
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Well, backyard to be exact. We had tossed this idea briefly a while back but couldn't commit to removing the turf (such as it is; it's never looked great and I actually prefer a more desert like look). Recently we've been batting the idea around again. I know I even raised the question here (maybe not in this forum), and remember there was both encouragement and naysaying. But now that the trees have just about reached their mature height (they're super easy to prune back and actually need to be at the moment) and the planting beds are underway, I wonder if I can get some fresh eyes on this space to help me decide if having the grass removed and replaced with pea gravel would be a good idea? We have no dog and will not be getting one, nor is there any need for green grass to walk or play on. We mostly enjoy the plants from the patio or when viewing out the windows. I realize that removing what little grass there is will create even more of a hardscaped look, but I really don't mind that aspect.
The strip of grass is gone around back because we had previously dealt with a water leak back there (no longer an issue). I should add that we would hire the work done. And I have no earthly idea what it should cost. I do know that even this small amount of lawn to be replaced will require a LOT of rock. I would also probably want to run a pathway of stepping stones (flagstone?) through the gravel to walk around the yard.

Comments (94)