SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bungalow_bythebay

DIY PEA GRAVEL CACTUS GARDEN and WALKWAY - LANDSCAPE FABRIC?

Phil _
3 years ago

HI Folks!

Converting our front yard into a drought resistant native plants garden with agaves, aloes and cacti, with a compacted garden surface pea gravel into drain rock hardscape, and a paver block walkway. Getting mixed information on using LANDSCAPE FABRIC under drain rock and pea gravel landscape. I read it creates more problems than its worth. So I wanted run my plans by you all to see if folks think installing LANDSCAPE FABRIC is appropriate in my case, and for anyone with clay soil in Bay Area.

Current Soil Condition: we have a very clay like soil. The struggling front yard turf layer was removed exposing raw clay soil. deep weeds and root may be present, but most superficial turf removed. OLD Gopher tunnel found, no current infestation. Rains only Dec thru March. Minimal precipitation.

Material Layer plan:

• Walkway Paver Islands - excavate 5 in, smooth out and compact clay, compact recycle base rock, 2.5", screed 3/4" paver sand and compact to 1/2", install 2 in PAVERS islands. Remove paver sand between and around the paver islands and replace with compacted Drain gravel leaving 1/2'' for top pea gravel layer, working pea gravel into the jagged drain rock. ( using top pea gravel bc its not a jagged material ( safe our wood floors) - hoping it will lock into the drain rock well enough to create a compacted pea gravel surface

_ ??? Do I need fabric between soil and base rock? I read its good to separate these surfaces.??? How can weeds grow thru 2 inched of compacted base rock?

• Remaining Dry Garden:

Plan out exact location of each plant and allocate the hole.

In the remaining areas, install 2" of jagged compacted drain gravel, with 1/2 - 1 top pea gravel.

_??? This is where I plan to use Natural Landscape Fabric between clay soil and grain gravel layer, but because I assume there will be weeds trying to grow under, NOW Im rethinking the fabric assuming its best to attack those weeds that pop up individually, as Im reading weeds grow thru fabric and then its really hard to remove them.

If I dont use fabric, will weed grass just start to grow thru compacted gravel in

PLUS, Im trying not to put polypropylene chemicals into soil, so if I would use fabric I would use this https://www.homedepot.com/p/Vigoro-40-in-x-36-ft-PLA-Natural-Weed-Block-Landscape-Fabric-NMV4036BPLA/310978002

So, FOLKS, Should I use a landscape fabric? Both in Walkway and Dry Garden? Any other natural alternatives? Thanks so much in Advance.

Comments (18)