SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marilyn_sue

Are You Celebrating Father's Day

We most likely would have a cookout tomorrow whether it was Father's Day or not. We have been doing that since my daughter had knee replacement surgery. Take food and grill out. Today I made a cherry pie, from frozen cherries and a pan of Rice K. Treats. Tomorrow I will fix baked beans and cut up the cantaloupe. Others will bring the meat and other things. It may be raining tomorrow. We could really use some rain. It is 90 out right now. I finally got my first red tomato out of my garden yesterday. Happy Father's Day all you Dads.

Sue

Comments (42)

• fawnridge (Ricky)
    3 years ago

Dad's gone two years, mom left us three years ago. I have a hard time celebrating either of the two holidays without them.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked fawnridge (Ricky)
  • Elmer J Fudd
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Are we? I hope so - its up to my wife and kids. But I'm sure to interact with all. Visits will be facilitated by the Internet, no one is nearby.

My father died about 10 years ago, my mother a bit before that. My wife's parents at about the same time. Because we never put great emphasis on artificial days of thoughtfulness but instead on acting that way throughout the year, their departures didn't really cause many ripples as far as these annual "holidays" go.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked Elmer J Fudd
  • Related Discussions

Happy Fathers Day - A Fathers Day Prayer

Q

Comments (2)
    Father's Day is coming soon. Happy Father's Day to all Dads! Here is a link that might be useful: Express Love to Dad with a Father¡¯s Day DVD Slideshow
    ...See More

father's day can you help

Q

Comments (4)
    well we all made it through another special day. matthew stayed over on sat. night and on sunday he and i went to the cemetary. matthew's girlfriends mom made a beautiful artifical arrangement to go on top of the stone (rule of the cemerary real flowers after may 20), he and i planted 4 red geraniums (one for me, one for him, one for our dd, and one for gracie joy divine), 2 white allisiums plants, 4 kind of orange daisies and purple pansies. we also put up a blue and white sphere on a stand (kindof like a gazing ball, blue and white for the yankees baseball and the toronto maple leafs hockey team, Al was a sports nut!) i think he would have really liked it, also we put 4 different glass birds, bluejays and robins, one for each of us on the base, however i had to glue this down this morning and i brought gracie joy divine with me, she usually stays in her basket but today of all days she decided it would be fun for me to run around the grounds (thankfully Al is in the new part and there is alot of just grass, i would have felt terrible if the plots were there, but again i could feel Al laaughing at us). matthew spent alot of time crying again and was so quiet till we took him back home (none of our kids drive). Susan, we did have a scholarship in his name, and we also sponsored a hockey team and a baseball team (Al was really children orientated and was a certified coach, where no matter how you played you got equally time to play, it doesn't go well with alot of parents. and our son gives sporting equipment to the younger age sport players at cost or free. our daughter volunteers her time helping children to read better, and also helps at parks and recreation. i also volunteer my time at one of hockey associations that matthew played for when he was younger and he hasn't played there for 14 years! we also work bingos which help keep costs down for childrens sports. Al taught us all this, he has always been one to volunteer and never want or expect payment. i do hope you all had a wonderful day yesterday. tomorrow will be another day and we'll see what that will bring. it's so foggy here it looks like a snow storm! debbie
    ...See More

What Are You Doing This Father's Day?

Q

Comments (7)
    I worked at the restaurant cooking for a buffet from 6:30 until 2:30. Now the day is for me to just relax and rest. Hubby will have broasted chicken wings that I had left over from the buffet for supper. I don't think I will eat. It is 92 degrees here in SD.
    ...See More

Father’s Day Gift Idea

Q

Comments (2)
    I’d say yes. A gesture of solidarity. If you’re thinking in these terms, it appears family relation of extended family is good. You are lucky and any action towards preserving harmony is a good move.
    ...See More
  • aok27502
    3 years ago

We still have my FIL. All of the immediate family is coming tomorrow to our house. We moved at the beginning of the pandemic in March, and most of them haven't seen our house yet. We will grill out, and if it isn't too hot, we'll eat outside.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked aok27502
  • Adella Bedella
    3 years ago

Cane's has a buy 1 get 1 free box combo tomorrow. We'll do that. I got dh some new water bottles and a solar charger that I thought he would like. We like to keep it simple. No trips to the beach this week. Maybe the week after.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked Adella Bedella
  • nickel_kg
    3 years ago

We'd usually have a cook out and cake for my dad and my DH. But this year it'll be phonecall to my dad, a phonecall from DD, and DH will have to grill just two steaks. Maybe next year we can have more face to face togetherness.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked nickel_kg
  • terilyn
    3 years ago

We’re going out tomorrow night for dinner. Small gifts from Kali to her dad and my husband.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked terilyn
  • bpath
    3 years ago

This will be our first Father's Day without my dad. I think I'll pick up some Carlsberg and drink a "skål" to him. Don't raise the glass higher than your chin, and look someone in the eye when you drink.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked bpath
  • ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    3 years ago

I hope it's good weather for grilling. I bought 2 bone in ribeye steaks to grill and potatoes to bake.

My husband loves steak but we rarely eat it these days. I just can't handle eating much steak.

That's pretty much it.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked ravencajun Zone 8b TX
  • Lars
    3 years ago

My parents died in 2012, my mother about six or eight months before my father. I will be alone on Fathers' Day, and so there will be no celebration. I didn't even like my father.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked Lars
  • amylou321
    3 years ago

I sent my dad a card.

I made some waffle batter before I went to work. It has to sit in the fridge overnight. They are SOs favorite. I may make a cake or something in the morning. I have to work tommorow night so no special dinner or anything. I gave him all his gifts already. Maybe his kids will remember to call or something....

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked amylou321
  • eld6161
    3 years ago

My oldest DD and her BF are setting up a surprise. They ordered dinner to be delivered from a local Italian restaurant.

We are alone here in Florida.

Both sets of our parents are long gone.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked eld6161
  • wildchild2x2
    3 years ago

Nope. Our county health care nazi still has us on shelter in place. I may go out to hang around horses (open county) and leave DH to enjoy his day with pizza and TV and an early bedtime. Very early Monday morning I am dropping him off to go deep sea fishing.

• KennsWoods
    3 years ago

Cookout with oldest son and the Florida grands. Like Raven, ribeyes are on the menu. Since forecast is for 95 the steaks will be cooked outside and we'll be inside with the AC on high. I'm sure I'll hear from GGS and youngest son in TN, although we text and talk often. Both my parents are gone now several decades.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked KennsWoods
  • nancyjane_gardener
    3 years ago

Our parents are long gone. It's so difficult to get our kids together due to schedules (Cop and night oncology nurse, Med asst teacher and money guy), we have a big celebration for Mother's day, Fathers day, my BD, DD BD, DDIL BD everyone's anniversaries. We went to pizza (it's SO nice to go OUT!), then a walk to the local nursery for a wagon full of flowers!

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked nancyjane_gardener
  • Judy Good
    3 years ago

My dad is gone. Tomorrow is my Mom's 88th Birthday and of Course Fathers day for my DH. We are having roast dinner with our kids,my Mom and sister. Dh favorite meal. Birthday cake for desert. Mom loves roast also. So a win win and easy peasy.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked Judy Good
  • Judy Good
    3 years ago

Tomorrow is the first day of Summer, longest day of the year!

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked Judy Good
  • jill302
    3 years ago

We will be celebrating with my husband, also celebrate my daughter’s birthday every year on Father’s Day. Unfortunately my FIL is not healthy enough to attend, we will be spending the evening with him Monday at the Board and Care where he lives. My Dad passed a little over 2 years ago.

We always do a barbecue. My husband picks the main dish, both DD and DH pick the sides, DD picks dessert. Tomorrow we are having charcuterie board, rib eye, macaroni and cheese, berry salad, Caesar salad and banana cake with brown butter frosting.

DH has been looking into sous vide cooking lately. So his Father’s Day gift is sous vide gear. Looking forward to him testing it out.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked jill302
  • Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)
    3 years ago

Just curious, not trying to make any trouble. The ones having plans of eating inside with family. Are these in your “COVID bubble” as my sister in law explained to me on her social distance birthday last week? I have to say even that was stressful and the Father’s Day Barbecue my mother in law wanted is not happening. I am in South Carolina, my county is a hot spot. I am hardly going anywhere, but had to take my old dog to the vet since she stopped eating two weeks ago. A few days later there was a message that the vet’s wife was tested positive and the practice was closed while he was isolating and being tested. He tested negative, but it just seems to be so risky.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)
  • Claudesmom
    3 years ago

I can't because my 95 yr old Dad lives in an apt in a retirement home and no outsiders are allowed in the building. The only way I can visit is if we sit outside on a bench 10 ft apart. The facility has cameras that spy on residents activities to see if they are following distance rules. He won't even touch my hand he's so afraid of what management might do. Terribly sad.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked Claudesmom
  • dedtired
    3 years ago

Nope. Dad died a long time ago, my sons don’t have kids and their father died awhile back , too. I am not a fan ofHallmark holidays so I don’t feel bad about not celebrating.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked dedtired
  • Rose Pekelnicky
    3 years ago

My father passed away 43 yrs ago, my mother 4 yrs ago, and my husband 7 yrs ago. I will wish my one son and my son in law a happy Father's Day and that will be it.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked Rose Pekelnicky
  • bragu_DSM 5
    3 years ago

no. I will make jam for Christmas tomorrow. Made 5 jars of strawberry jalapeño jam today [Sat]. Store had strawberries a buck pound [pint].

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked bragu_DSM 5
  • functionthenlook
    3 years ago

We took the grandgirls to the lake today for a swim. We didn't get there until 5pm and it was crowded. I guess everyone took dad to the lake for a cookout. Tomorrow we will celebrate father's day and hubby's birthday with my daughter and girls. Our son came over earlier today. Hubby requested something he hasn't had in a long time, Kentucky fried chicken. Lol. I also baked a cherry pie and threw together macaroni salad he requested.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked functionthenlook
  • Lindsey_CA
    3 years ago

My father died in 1970 and my husband’s father died in 1980. We never had a successful pregnancy, so we never celebrate Father’s Day or Mother’s Day.

We will, however, celebrate my husband’s birthday tomorrow, as we do every year on June 21.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked Lindsey_CA
  • Marilyn Sue McClintock
    Original Author
    3 years ago

My Dad died in 1981 and my Mother seven years ago. My husband passed a year and a half ago. We celebrate Father's Day for the men in our family. Yes, the ones I will be with are the ones I see all the time. I am 85 and remember celebrating both Father's Day and Mother's Day when I was still at home.

Sue

• Yayagal
    3 years ago

Our kids will pop over but no one can come inside. They are incredibly kind and overdo every gift they bring. We are the pampered couple lol.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    3 years ago

No fathers left in our family so no, we're not celebrating, but remembering.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • Kathsgrdn
    3 years ago

Nope, my dad is gone now.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked Kathsgrdn
  • Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    3 years ago

Happy Birthday to your husband, Lindsey!

We are celebrating my husband today, and I am thinking of my wonderful late grandfather whom I miss dearly.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked Zalco/bring back Sophie!
  • Annegriet
    3 years ago

Yes with my Dad. He's a lovely person and we are lucky to be together on this day.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked Annegriet
  • roxanna7
    3 years ago

My dad has been gone for 31 years, so while I do think of him, I celebrate my DH, father of my children, and both the fathers of my grandchildren. =)

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked roxanna7
  • sjerin
    3 years ago

My own dad is long passed, but we will do a drive-by to briefly see out two dds and their hubbies. That will be about a 2-3 hour trip, which has me worried about needing a bathroom. I will drink little, but just thinking about it makes me thirsty!

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked sjerin
  • lgmd_gaz
    3 years ago

Dear daughter invited her Dad over for grilled salmon salad (she said I could come too) so that is where we will be, wearing masks when not eating and sitting on opposite ends of the 24 ft picnic shelter when we eat. As a nurse, working in a hospital, daughter is well schooled in controlling germs etc.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked lgmd_gaz
  • georgysmom2
    3 years ago

Just me and DH. I have a pork loin brining right now in a brine of water, salt, maple syrup, red pepper flakes, black pepper, crushed garlic and chopped ginger. Sits in brine for 8 hours. It then gets a glaze of maple syrup, dijon mustard and oil toward the end of roasting and served with some glaze on the side. It's a new recipe that sounded interesting to me and I had all the ingredients in the house including a pork loin in the freezer. I'm going to make a zucchini, summer squash and corn casserole and twice baked potato to go with it. The kids have called and spoken to their Dad.....that's the fun part of the day. :-)))

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked georgysmom2
  • mama goose_gw zn6OH
    3 years ago

In the pre-covid days I hosted major holidays and my brother took Father's Day. I take care of Dad's groceries, meds, some bills, and generally boss him around (according to him). I was at his place Friday to take delivery of his gift--new lift chair, since old chair broke just in time for FD. My DD lured him out to the back porch on the pretext of showing him an update on his cell phone, so I could let in the (masked) delivery guys. I was cleaning house, and wiped down chair control and door knobs. Dad was still on the porch when we left. We pulled off the surprise!! 😁

My brother was visiting with him when I called this morning, but I will stay home today. We lost my DFIL in early March--due to his health issues I had spent spent a couple of days each week taking him to health care visits, and I miss him this year.

My kids who don't live here usually call me on FD, since they lost their Dad. Today is my younger grandson's 4th BD, so we are celebrating a different occasion.

Happy Father's Day to all dads!

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked mama goose_gw zn6OH
  • satine100
    3 years ago

Since all "my men" have passed (father, husband, brother} no celebrating fd. I am fixing myself a nice dinner to remember what would have been my and dh's 51 wedding anniversary. Damn I still miss him.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked satine100
  • socks
    3 years ago

I'm thinking of my father today, long gone. I called a couple of friends and congratulated them on being complete Super Fathers to their kids during the virus shut-down. They have done everything possible to help the kids with school work, outdoor exercise and more.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked socks
  • foodonastump
    3 years ago

Certainly not as major of a holiday as Mother’s Day, is it! It’s a gorgeous day out, hanging out in the pool with my family. That’s just fine for me. Will be heading over to see my parents shortly. Things aren’t too great over there but seeing their grandchildren usually puts a smile on their faces.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked foodonastump
  • yeonassky
    3 years ago

Yes and we had a very nice time but our kids were not available. DS who lives with us has a migraine today and DD is working hard as it is tax time for many of her clients. I have a migraine too so DH did the cooking. He enjoys cooking and doesn't get much chance to... thank goodness or he might feel a little resentful have nobody coming around and taking care of him on his special day.

At one time I would have greatly envied those of you who have had good Fathers and miss them. My father was not good. And I don't miss him.

I like celebrating my husband's fatherhood with him though. He is a great father according to me and his kids. ☺️

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked yeonassky
  • bpath
    3 years ago

My first Father’s Day without my father, but my heart is full: I haven’t seen my son since a drive-by drop-off of his Easter basket over two months ago. But he came up for hamburgers and made a salad. He balked at wearing a mask with me in the car, but he did it anyway, because he’s a good son ;) Outside though, we were “free”. Lovely long chats, especially after DH and our other son returned inside to their labors.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked bpath
  • arcy_gw
    3 years ago

We celebrated well!! Daughter's were here for the weekend. We did the town sculpture walk, played a lot of badminton and cards, grilled out--generally enjoyed each other's company!! My own dad is 85 this year and doing well. My siblings had a gathering out at the lake for him. From what dad said it was cold but they got their golf around in!!

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked arcy_gw