SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fordido

Terrible Raised Bed Soil- what to do?!

fordido
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

We built new raised beds this Spring and filled them with a blend from a local landscaper- supposedly 70% screened topsoil & 30% organic compost. Immediately upon filling the beds, I wasn’t impressed with it. Seemed like it had a pretty high clay content and wasn’t light and frillable at all. I figured maybe I was just spoiled from getting better quality soil in the past. But the plants have been in for over a month and everything is showing signs of unhappiness. Stunted growth, leaf discoloration etc. I attached some pictures to give you an idea- including one of a marigold sprout in my garden and one from a seed I dropped in the yard when planting. The one in the yard is healthy and 10x the size! I’m incredibly frustrated after all the hard work building and filling these beds.

We will likely end up digging out most of the soil in fall, replacing with something else and planting a winter cover crop. But is there anything I can do to salvage the garden this summer? I have been fertilizing every other week alternating between fish emulsion & Texas Tomato Food’s vegetable formula. I’m also dropping off a soil sample for testing next week for further info. I would love any suggestions you may have for us. Thank you!

Comments (10)