SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jslazart

Stainless steel countertops with marine edge & custom sink - questions

jslazart
3 years ago

Has anyone done custom stainless countertops? I need to finalize my order next week, this is my biggest splurge (queue anxiety attack), and I want to make sure I'm not missing anything. I'd love a marine edge (I had one, effectively, made out of tile in my 1950s house, and it's amazing how much it kept things from dripping/rolling/spilling onto the floor), but I'm not clear on what dimensions I should ask for on the profile.

First, is a 1/4" raise enough? 1/2" looks obtrusive to me, but maybe it's not so bad in person? This looks good to me, but no telling if it's effective at keeping things from rolling/spilling:

Second, do you raise the edge to abut the range? What about a side wall or tall cabinet? I think my contractor was going raise the edge everywhere except where the countertop will meet the backsplash. A raised edge by the (freestanding) range makes sense to me, but not really by a wall or a tall cabinet, where there is no risk that things will fall/spill over the edge.

Finally: Any tips on custom sinks? I want single basins and offset drains, but I haven't specified anything else yet. Anyone know a comprehensive checklist of everything you are supposed to ask to make sure they turn out right?

Comments (16)