SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
elise_cafferata39

Split Level With Flat Roof Lines, HELP don't know where to start!

Elise Cafferata
3 years ago

We have a 1970's split level that is in desperate need of new windows and siding. Before we dive in to the project I want to make sure I am thinking about all possibilities for the exterior of my home in hopes of giving it some character. I don't like the flat roof line but we don't have the budget to change it, replace it or do any type of additions to the house. We are also going to remove both chimneys as they are in very rough shape and a structural engineer even told us they would have to be rebuilt which is $$$$. The large one that is currently a wood burning fireplace will be converted to a pellet stove with a chase surround (example below). We live in the Northeast and the neighborhood is made of up of traditional colonials or this type of split level. We are definitely moving forward with windows and siding and I was thinking of choosing white windows, medium grey siding, adding black shutters and painting the front door black as well. I did a very basic mock up below of that look. I am so lost on what else I could ask the contractor to do that is budget friendly and would work well with the split level style. I like the farmhouse look but not sure if it's right for this home. I was considering adding some wood elements to the exterior such a replacing the front porch columns with wood or adding a wood portico above the garages but not sure if that would look odd either. I've spent hundreds of hours looking for inspiration but am having a hard time finding an exterior renovation of a house similar in style to mine. We definitely need to do some landscaping which will help curb appeal but need to tackle this project first. Any thoughts or advice is greatly appreciated!!!

Comments (7)