SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jmwalsh85

Historic House considering using a Glass Overlay for exposed to walls?

Julie Schmooley
3 years ago

Hey Houzz!

We got this idea in our heads that now we can’t shake!! Our house is an 1810 farmhouse, hand hewn beams etc etc. The ground floor was the original kitchen and we repointed one of the original foundation walls to show as an exposed stone wall, and created an archway to the kitchen from stones in the yard.
Second floor is living room, original pumpkin pine wide flooring. We would have loved to show off the hand hewn beams on the sides but bc of budget we couldn’t afford to frame out the house to show them inside the walls. Third floor I believe historically was the bedroom. Later years an attic or extra bedroom and there’s a bathroom.

Still with me? I felt like some backstory was needed 🤣 when we removed the plaster on second and third floors the insulation was stone. STONES. We had to shovel them out. Well, we weren’t going to demo the bathroom on third floor bc it was fine just ugly. Now decided since the entire house is gutted might as well (keeping the tub since it fits the space). Now there is one left original stone insulation wall.... here is the question.

Any way to keep it as is with double pane glass to use as an exposed/ museum gallery way of how the original house was built? It would be like what we did on ground floor but not getting it repointed, trying to leave it as is. Only doing the one wall. Am I making sense? First pic is the wall, second pic is the repointed one we did on ground floor! Hope you enjoy! And I truly appreciate any insight or advice if anyone has done something similar??

Comments (16)