SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
conrz

Shutters or No Shutters?

conrz
3 years ago

Just recently replaced all the siding on my 2-story 1979 home. I went with a pretty dramatic color change from what it used to be using James Hardie Rich Espresso, mainly so I wouldn't have to paint for a while. :) You can't see from the picture but the color matches exactly to one of the colors in the brick.

I wasn't planning to replace the old louvered shutters, because they really date the house and besides, shutters were only on the front and I have a weird thing about matching. I kind of like the new look but at the same time, my house now looks like a 2-layer chocolate cake and it's rather dull. Do I add back the shutters in the cream color? Do I add chunkier trim around the windows? Do I add window boxes? Do I add corbels to the roof line or sides of the windows? Or do I do nothing? I've been mulling it over but can't figure it out. Is there anything I can do to add a little pizzazz that won't cost an arm and a leg?

Note: The ugly rust-colored roof is my next big project, not sure when that will happen. Shorter term projects include replacing the dated spindle pillars, house number and exterior lighting, as well as changing up the landscaping by removing the 3 planters and making it into a colorful xeric flower bed. Perhaps some of these changes will make the house a little less boring?

Comments (20)

• Elaine Doremus Resumes Written
    3 years ago

No shutters. Take out the three mustard pot plants in front and find something more attractive. (I'm sorry I can't suggest anything - I don't have a green thumb!!!). Landscaping could add a lot of great visual interest to your home. Also, the door is quite dark. I think it would look a lot more welcoming if it was lighter. How about a color similar to the tan color in the brick?

• conrz
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks for your ideas! I will definitely be removing the planters because the red doesn’t match the new color scheme, and I won’t replace the planters but instead will remove the rock and put in a xeric flower garden that should brighten up the front a bit. The door is only about a year old... I actually hadn’t planned on getting siding that dark so I purchased a fiberglass door with the wood grain look. Now I wish I had painted doors because I agree, it is quite dark! The painters said that they wouldn’t recommend painting it though because it wouldn’t look good, the paint wouldn’t adhere well or something? So not sure what to do about that.

• Snaggy
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

No shutters ..house looks fine with out them ..you could always paint the inside of the porch a lighter colour if you think it's to dark

• misecretary
    3 years ago

I would definitely concentrate on landscaping. The sidewalk leading to the road seems to all but disappeared. If you do not have an edger, use a shovel to push back the soil and sod to return it to its normal width. The shrubs should be trimmed back as welI. I, myself, would consult with a tree company about trimming the trees. They appear to be very close to your house.

The bay window area has a lot of trim. Could you paint the entire area beneath the window the same color as the siding to minimize its importance. Perhaps paint the front door a vibrant color

• Little Bug
    3 years ago

Your bay window has very chunky trim while the others don’t. That catches my eye. Pick one or the other. If you pick chunky trim, get chunkier porch posts.

I agree about the sidewalk toward the street. It’s being eaten by the tree. Could you edge your sidewalks with brick to make them wider? I’m not a fan of pots set in beds. Get one BIG pot and set it on the porch. The tree on the left needs trimming.

• conrz
    Original Author
    3 years ago

OK. I’m doing landscaping work, my question was about shutters. I’m not seeing a huge push to add them so I guess I’ll just focus on all the things I’m planning to do in the last paragraph.

• Elaine Doremus Resumes Written
    3 years ago

Do some research or call a paint store or home center. They've got lots of solutions, and I'll bet they have a paint that can stick to your door!

• conrz
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Actually it was the professional painting company who told me paint wouldn’t stick to the door, so... I kind of trust their opinion.

• houssaon
    3 years ago

I think your house has clean lines with out the shutters. All your to-do items are going to further enhance the look of the house. I would not worry about the door. People do not see your house in two dimension the way we do and can appreciate the wood grain look.

• Design Girl
    3 years ago

I'd beef and square up the columns on the porch. No shutters.

• lmmcnitt
    3 years ago

No shutters. I agree that the columns should be enhanced and this would make a huge impact. Next add new house numbers. You’ve enhanced and changed the look of the house with the new paint color and that’s a good start. Finishing with landscaping, new columns and new address numbers would really take it to the next level.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

to paint the door, (the fiberglass) it's a lot like painting a laminate surface. that's why they said it wouldn't last. It has to be properly prepped. you could degloss it w/a liquid, or lightly sand down the glossy finish w/sandpaper. (go easy. u just want to scuff it a bit) then apply a good bonding primer (and you can get this tinted to any color. if going dark, get it tinted to a dark gray or whatever color you're using)

for the paint, you'd choose a good exterior paint. that's it

some color options. maybe new lights. (or spray what you have)

Oh, no shutters

change out those posts to something heftier in a wood. something like these:

I'd do something like this for your numbers

or in this copper color. you don't need the plant container. you could do the numbers on a piece of wood, or just pick some better looking numbers in the copper color

and some copper color planters.

• mhcooper
    3 years ago

Your house is so similar to mine! ( But definitely better looking and updated). I have a 79 two story wirh brick on bottom, spindly posts, and shutters.
    I was considering what I could do to improve the curb appeal and pitched on Houzz to paint the shutters and everyone also told me "No shutters!" 😂.
    I'm afraid I don't have any advice for you, but I wanted to let you know I feel you in this dilemma. I'm currently thinking of chunkier window trim and losing the shutters

• conrz
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I like these ideas Beth! The doors are 3/4 glass with chunky bronze hardware. I prefer the light colored door idea IF I paint them. I’ve been looking at the DIY columns, it’s pretty simple to just build right around the spindles and remove those brackets, but I was actually thinking of making them the same as the trim color and not wood. ?? Copper would be a good pop of color, it would go well with the bricks.

• conrz
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Also considering redoing the pathway by the house, have heard several comments and it is rather unimpressive.

• conrz
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Ha! Totally get your point. Here’s the before pic. The color isn’t awful from a distance but it’s a flesh color up close and just didn’t work for me, nor did all the red with the brick. I had originally planned to match the siding to the brick with black and white trim.

• Anna (6B/7A in MD)
    3 years ago

Your house is not boring at all. No shutters, please. Once you make the other changes, you’ll be happier. And widen the walkway if that’s on your radar.

• katinparadise
    3 years ago

I like your siding choice! I definitely agree with leaving off shutters and squaring out the posts. I would keep them white to match the rest of the trim. Color in the landscaping would help as well. Perhaps you could also add some bright cushions to the chairs and colorful pots on either side of the door if you're not comfortable painting it. Fill them with bright new guinea impatiens or something else that will work in the shade, along with trailing potato vines and vinca for some height.

• strategery
    3 years ago

Can you move the walkway to in front of the porch and attach to driveway? Coming straight out and bending is quite an eyesore IMO.

• strategery
    3 years ago

I don't like the double door. It is dated. A large single with 1 or 2 sidelights would look better.