SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
minshenw

Abe Darby, Carding Mill, Roald Dahl

3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Hi everyone!

We just made a small, narrow border couple weeks ago lined with boxwood, and with two English lavenders on either corner. I intend to grow some DA roses in it, interspersed with purple salvia (“blue for you”). Right now the two roses I have in it are Jude the Obscure and Winchester Cathedral. I plan to add 3-4 more apricot/blush/creamy colored DA ones. The two I have chosen are Scepter’d isle and Desdemona. Now for the apricot-y one, I’m having trouble deciding among these:

Abe Darby, Carding Mill, and Roald Dahl.

I personally grow three own-root Abe currently, but they are all very young ones (2 in their second year and 1 first year in a pot), so while I love the few big fragrant blooms I got out of them so far, I simply haven’t seen enough to make a good judgement. Besides, they seem to be the only few roses that get BS in my climate... Carding Mill and Roald Dahl I’ve heard fabulous things about, but have never seen them in person.

My preference would be fast repeat, fairly upright (no more octopus canes!!) stature, and prolific bloom. Fragrance is a plus but honestly I think most DA roses smell pretty nice.

If you have experience growing any of these, please give me some opinions on them and ideas o help me choose... And I’m open to other suggestions as well!

Thank you!

Comments (21)