SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chris209_gw

David Austin Rose Photo Share

Would love to see all your beautiful David Austin spring blooms.
We've had a lot of rain this weekend so mine are all pretty waterlogged right now, but lots more buds to open. Not complaining as we did need the rain.

Comments (92)

• chris209 (LI, NY Z7a)
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@noseometer...(7A, SZ10, Albuquerque) I can't compare to Jude, since I've never grown it, but Windermere has one of the most delicious fragrances. One of my favorites.

-Chris

• Michigan zone 6
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

All my 13 bare roots shipped from DA,Texas are doing great except one. I planted it 2 weeks before.Two roots which doesnt have leaves still is green,so I have hope. Thanks for all amazing pictures of roses. I am in Michigan ,and the roses I ordered are Munstead wood,Poets wife,Desdemona,Olivia rose,Lady of Shallot.I chose healthy roses as I dont want to see the roses dying with disesase .Any comments on my selecttion,friends?

• Related Discussions

Heirloom Roses sale on David Austin Roses

Q

Comments (5)
    Virginia, yes I am intrigued by the reports I've seen of BB's "unique" coloration that is apparently so hard to describe/photograph. I have a spot on my fence for him where I don't think he'll clash too badly if "unique" is really code for "ick." I went back and got The Shepherdess as well...I hope she will do well in a sunny spot in the yard. I have been so pleased with my three Mayflower shrubs this year (my first DA roses) and I am looking forward to expanding my DA collection. Good luck with Mortimer and thanks for the tip!
    ...See More

David Austin Rose & Hybrid Tea Rose

Q

Comments (10)
    Becky, Thank you for posting. the two-toned rose is 'Double Delight' not strong color because it was a rainy day and other are Evelyn, Jude the Obscure, Othello, Golden Celebration and unknow white Climbing rose also unknow hybrid tea roses.
    ...See More

Post up photos of your David Austin roses

Q

Comments (161)
    An Austin rose that you don’t see or hear about much is The Shepherdess, which was the best looking Austin rose in the public rose garden yesterday (untended and possibly not irrigated since shelter-in-place).
    ...See More

Please look at my rose, is this an Alnwick? David Austin Roses

Q

Comments (8)
    I think some companies say in fine print that they can substitute roses. I was surprised to read that on some online websites. It is a very unique beautiful looking rose, and rather a nice surprise but disappointing to have no scent, I'm sure. I found this link that looks just like yours and says it is an Alnwick https://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/296558/#b but I saw a lot of other photos of Alnwick that look nothing like this. Hope this helps.
    ...See More
  • Brandon Garner
    2 years ago

updated picture of Munstead Wood

• Michigan zone 6
    2 years ago

Looks very beautiful

• mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
    2 years ago

Michigan, the only rose you ordered that I have grown is Lady of Shalott. She wants to be a climber so give her lots of room. She also didn't like the heat here too much (you won't have that problem) but then who likes over 105 F for weeks and weeks on end? :)

• Brandon Garner
    2 years ago

Abe Darby

• chris209 (LI, NY Z7a)
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Brandon Garner wow those are both gorgeous. I bet they smell great.

My Pretty Jessica is beginning to get going. Really getting the medicinal side of myrrh that I know a lot of people don't like but I do enjoy.

• Michigan zone 6
    2 years ago

Pretty roses. I planted few DA roses.All are coming good except few. Any idea if I can get flowers in the first year itself? In zone 6,list of roses in previous message.

• chris209 (LI, NY Z7a)
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Michigan zone 6 you can definately expect blooms from a first year grafted rose. Those roses you picked are all good ones. I'd give the one that hasn't leafed out yet some more time. Keep watering them well. If it doesn't come around, give DA a call and let them know what happened.

• Michigan zone 6
    2 years ago

Thanks Chris.Good to hear that,waiting for first bloom from now.Here,summer is very short,so just doubted before.Yes I emailed them and they agreed to send a replacement. Happy with their customer service.

• subk3
    2 years ago

I posted Oliva Austin on the thread above. I ordered a couple more of her this spring and threw a Roald Dahl in the order because I'm hearing good reports on its disease resistance. I was not impressed with the bare roots DA sent as nothing bigger than a no. 2 pencil. But wow! In the last few days it's gone gang busters. I have no idea if its disease resistance will be as good as its reputation, but I sure hope so!

Since no one has already posted one, here is a baby Roald Dahl:

• Michigan zone 6
    2 years ago

Wow wow ..Amazing. How many months old are they and which zone?

• subk3
    2 years ago

Michigan zone 6 This year's David Austin bare roots were planted the middle of April. I'm in 7a (MidTn) so beyond spring at this point and starting summer. I would be surpised if you didn't get blooms on most of yours this year as well. Here is one of the small but mighty Oliva Austins that is also happy as a clam:

And a full bush of the baby Roald Dahl:

• Michigan zone 6
    2 years ago

Pretty young roses with beautiful flowers..Are you doing any extra care?Are you feeding with rose food or compost and in what frequency?

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    2 years ago

I totally forgot about Charles Renne Macintosh. He is my silent trooper, just keeps plugging along with no disease or insect issues .

• strawchicago z5
    2 years ago

Christopher Marlowe, scent is unique: carnation, musk, and lemon. It's an 11th-year-own-root in 4 hours of sun:

• chris209 (LI, NY Z7a)
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Charles Darwin

Imogen

Pretty Jessica

• subk3
    2 years ago

Michigan zone 6 . The entirety of my beds are amended with horse manure compost and I included some additional compost when planting. The only other thing I added when planting was a biochar/mycorrhizal product both to the hole and scattered as a top dressing--this is a new product for me this year so the jury is still out as to whether or not I'd recommend it. I haven't use any actual NPK fertilizers on them so far and typically wait to do so until they are better established.

• Magda (Ontario, USDA4/5)
    2 years ago

The same bloom of English Garden yesterday and today.

• LauraLG Z5b-NwPA
    2 years ago

Abraham Darby:

This was sent to me as Gentle Hermione but I think it may be Jude the Obscure:

The Ingenious Mr. Fairchild:

Heritage:

• lynne CA Zone 9B
    2 years ago

first year Ancient Mariner, it is very pretty even though it doesn't look like the picture from DA website

Amazing rose survived 100F + heat

• bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
    2 years ago

@lynne CA Zone 9B It’s a good point that you noticed your TAM doesn’t look like the picture from DA website. Your Ancient Mariner looks a lot like my ”The Alnwick Rose”. I think TAR has one of the best fragrances. I have both roses.

Here is my TAR on HMF:

https://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=21.337826

https://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=21.337825

• Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country
    2 years ago

Young Lycidas

Carding Mill

Princess Alexandria of Kent

WS2000

Radio Times

Huntington Rose

Munstead Wood

William Morris

• berrypiez6b
    2 years ago

WS2000 and Evelyn

• lynne CA Zone 9B
    2 years ago

Thank you, Helen! It does looked like your alnwick rose. I was wondering about it. I know you have TAM, but can't find it.

That's too funny. This is the replacement of TAM they sent me this year. They don't know what's the rose I ordered couple years ago with tag TAM is . LOL

Here is the comparison of the two roses

• Ken Wilkinson
    2 years ago

I thought I posted some picks in this thread a while back. I guess I didn't here are some of mine. These are the 5 varieties that I grow.

Munstead Wood.

Scepter d' Isle

Molineux

LD Braithwaite

The Prince

• bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
    2 years ago

@lynne CA Zone 9B Here is the link to my “The Ancient Mariner“ on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/p/CQIVRVTHxSj/?utm_medium=copy_link 

Helen

• lynne CA Zone 9B
    2 years ago

Thank you, Helen! Love your roses and your photos!

• Michigan zone 6
    2 years ago

All my roses coming good and some started getting flowers ..Really impressive for first year..Few questions I ..-In winter <v r in Michigan> , do I need to keep potted roses in garage or will it survive outside? My Lady of shallot is in pot. I wanted to train it as a climber against wall?After growing to how many feet should I train it to be a climber?

• strawchicago z5
    2 years ago

I'm in zone 5, and I have better luck burying roses deep OUTSIDE (6" below ground like the late rosarian Karl Bapst suggested). I kept own-root Firefighter in an unheated garage and it died this winter since I forgot to put a thermal blanket in Feb., when the temp. dipped to single digit inside my garage. Others in warmer zones who kept roses inside their garage report their dying if they forget to water it.

I have Lady of Shalott as 7th-year own-root, it blooms from head to bottom so it doesn't matter how many feet of growth before trained as climber. The bottom short branches bloom better than the tallest branch. It's in 4 hrs. of sun, same with W.S. 2000.

Several inches below ground is 32 F, even when it's -20 F above ground for zone 5. One winter I planted band-size W.S. 2000 (tiny own-root) late in September .. at 6" deep, plus I put a plastic ring (large pot with bottom cut-off) around it and filled with wood-chips. It's thriving as 11th-year own-root.

• strawchicago z5
    2 years ago

Ken Wilkinson: Really appreciate those bush-shots of Austins that you posted. THANK YOU. I wish there are more pics. like that in HMF. Bush-shots help me tremendously since I get to see their leaves and growth habit.

• rosecanadian
    2 years ago

Amazing roses everyone!!

Here's Bishop Castle from last year. It's not doing well this year...but that's my fault...pH issues. This is what it usually looks like.

• Anu Priya
    2 years ago

Thanks @strawchicago z5 for sharing photos and suggestions. So,if leaving outside in pot,are you just leaving it without any protection? Or if keeping in unheated garage,should i need to water monthly once?Mine-all are DA roses-Olivia rose austin ,Lady of shallot and Desdemona in pots.

• strawchicago z5
    2 years ago

I don't leave roses outside in pots, they die in zone 5 winter.

Yes to once a month watering if they are covered with thermal blankets inside an unheated garage. A friend in Texas, zone 8, also covered her roses with thick thermal blanket inside an unheated garage. It's the temp. fluctuation that kills roses rather than steady cold as in unheated garage.

Perle d'Or survived winter well in a pot inside my unheated garage, the minute I planted in the ground in early May, weather went from very warm to spring frost, and it died. Lesson learned, I don't bring roses outside until the danger of frost has passed.

• Anu Priya
    2 years ago

Thanks a lot @strawchicago z5,that helped. I will try to keep in basement instead of garage this winter.This will be my first winter of my potted roses .

• strawchicago z5
    2 years ago

For tiny rootings (1/4 the size of band), they survived winter best in my unheated garage & covered with a blanket than down my basement. The basement's gas-heater kept drying out pots despite weak light from the window. It was real pain to water roses daily if kept down the basement. They died of overwatering.

My herbs (basil and rosemary) can't do well indoor unless with bright sun & steady warmth, but whiteflies infestation was a pain. Folks in CA also advised against keeping roses indoor in the winter (spider-mites infestation).

Roses survive winter best if kept dormant with STEADY COLD TEMP. such as under a thermal blanket in a dark garage. The late rosarian Karl Baspt, zone 5a, wrote on how his pots (kept in the garage) became frozen solid like a block of ice, but they survive winter great. It's the thaw & freeze that destroys roots, rather than steady cold at 32 F.

• CeresMer Zone 7a NJ
    2 years ago

noseometer...(7A, SZ10, Albuquerque)
    I was reading your comments about a white rose. I was just thinking How much I love Earth Angel, not sure if white enough for you but such a great rose. It has flowered a lot, a lot more resistant to thrips and heat than Bolero. I was going to get 2 more boleros for my front yard, but will get 2 EA instead. This spring, I was not able to get not even a good bloom that didn’t have thrip damage on bolero, EA it’s doing so much better and last a lot longer in the plant or vase!

bolero

earth angel

• Anu Priya
    2 years ago

Nice pictures @CeresMer Zone 7a NJ .. @strawchicago z5-Thanks for your suggestions and sharing the experience.. Just thinking-if for the whole winter ,if covering with thermal blanket in garage,will it be too much heated if the temperature is normal on some days?Or if it's going beyond some temperature,are you covering with blanket?

• strawchicago z5
    2 years ago

Anu: Fantastic question!! Forgot to mention that I only cover them with thermal blanket when the temp dips to below 20 F. Own-root nurseries gave the tip of don't winterize roses until in the low 20's.

Ceres: Thank you for posting those pics. of Earth Angel, it's on my wish-list. How do you like the scent of Earth Angel compared to Bolero? Thank you.

• noseometer...(7A, SZ10, Albuquerque)
    2 years ago

@CeresMer Zone 7a NJ - thank you for your suggestion! I have tried Earth Angel after seeing all the beautiful photos here. Unfortunately, Earth Angel did not want to grow here, and after some serious pampering, the few buds it produced were entirely devoured by thrips before they ever opened. The two blooms that it managed to open were quite beautiful and it was very sad when I removed it. Desdemona has been much more successful, and more fragrant, but to be completely honest, I find the flowers (as compared to others, or to EA’s best flowers) to be less beautiful.

• rosecanadian
    2 years ago

Gosh, Ceres - those are stunning roses!!!! WOW!!

• strawchicago z5
    2 years ago

Among my 33 own-root Austin roses, there are few scents that I can stick my nose in 24/7.

Leander, St. Cecilia, Mary Magdalene, the Dark Lady, W.S. 2000.

Below bouquet was picked July 24:

Radio Times, sweet and pure heaven (not too face-powder perfume like Comte de Chambord), medium pink below. It's steady fragrant when topped with pea-gravel.

Evelyn: sweet peach, light pink

Munstead Wood: sweet berries, dark red.

For beauty & scent & vigor, Radio Times is #1

Radio Times get my vote as the most photogenic. Below pic. was taken this July 24:

Below pic. was taken back in 2011 when I first bought Radio Times as 1st year own-root:

Bush has pretty leaves & healthy as 11th-year-own-root, pic. taken this July 14, I don't spray:

• rosecanadian
    2 years ago

Oh WOWZA!!!! I really, really love your July 24 RT picture and the one below it!! Oh SWOON!!! :) :) :) Another one that is a stunner is the light yellow rose in the first picture...what rose is that beauty?

• strawchicago z5
    2 years ago

Carol: thank you, you are the reason why people (including me) post in this forum. Without your wonderful spirit and kind words, there won't be any posters. The yellow rose is Tchaikosky, lasts 5+ days in the vase.

• rosecanadian
    2 years ago

Straw - the reason why I fit in here so well is that we're all such great people. :) :) But THANK YOU so much!! :) :) And the amount of time/effort you put into helping people is INCREDIBLE!!! You are a great treasure here..in every way!! :) :) Tchaikosky....ahh!! It's gorgeous!!

• Anu Priya
    2 years ago

All my roses which planted are coming well,i am very happy with all DA roses i purchased. The picture i attached seems to be wrongly sent instead of Olivia.Still,i like it.Any clue which rose?Thanks in advance!

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    2 years ago

Teasing Georgia finally taking off

• rosecanadian
    2 years ago

Anu - I can see why you like it! It's so delicately beautiful!

Kristine - all right!!! That's really good to see!! I especially love the first pic!

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    2 years ago

Anu .. my guess is crocus