SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
steve_marshall30

Basement Ceiling Insulation - Yes or No?

Steve Marshall
3 years ago

The previous owners of my home had installed fiberglass insulation in the (unfinished) basement ceiling between the floor joists. I assume they did this for heat purposes. The insulation is old, dirty and crappy looking at this point. I am working on an effort to reduce dampness and the presence and smell of mold/mildew in the basement and am wondering if I should remove or replace this ceiling insulation. My concern is that the old insulation has absorbed moisture and is probably home to some mold & mildew.

I will be taking additional steps to reduce moisture, including adding a dehumidifier that drains into the sump pit (set it at 50% humidity), and I'll probably add a fan or air purifier that I'll keep constantly running. Will also cover my sump pit so that the water in the pit isn't open to the air in the room.

My question for the forum is - should I replace the ceiling insulation w/ new fiberglass insulation or should I just leave it out? If I leave it out, should I expect to notice a difference in moisture or heating/cooling loss from the main floor above?

Thanks in advance-

Comments (5)