SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
robert_trivett23

Advice on Paver Patio

Robert Trivett
3 years ago

I hired a contractor off of a local site to install a paver patio, 15x23, in my backyard (which slopes slightly away from the house). He came out today to start the project and used a surveyors scope to "shoot the levels" of the area. He then marked the area w orange line. Here's where I am concerned: He didn't excavate anything, he didn't remove the sod , he dumped a ton of concrete rock down and spread it out, said he'd be back tomorrow with two tons of concrete rock to add to it to level the yard. He said he's going to tamp it down level and add an inch of concrete dust to level, then add the pavers, edging, etc. My issue is that he didn't excavate anything or take the grass out. I am worried that it won't ever really be level and that I'll have weeds and grass growing through. Every video or instruction online shows them digging at least 6 inches down to set a base. Can the base be 2 inches in certain places because of the slope? At a loss of what to do. I've called to ask him about it but haven't gotten a response. Thoughts? Should I run? I've already given him a hefty deposit, but I don't want a patio that gives me problems.

Comments (18)