SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jag2596

Do I need an interior designer or a contractor.

jag2596
3 years ago

We are doing a downstairs renovation and creating an open concept design by taking down the wall between the kitchen and living room (which is load bearing and will require a beam), and the wall between kitchen and dining room, as well as getting some extra footage for the kitchen/mud room by expanding into garage by several feet. .
Will need permits, demolition, structural support beam, design and framing for the extra space, , Sheetrock, electrical, plumbing , flooring and may have some ducts to relocate.
Plus a problem I already know of is the floor leveling is off. The living room entry way and hallway are original hardwood and in pretty good shape. Those areas run parallel to dining room and kitchen which are a bit higher, I’m guessing due to previous sub flooring. Currently in dining room I laid a new hardwood floor several years ago. No stain, just water based poly and it does not match the other floors, we have a transition strip to mask the height difference. Kitchen is ceramic tile which obviously has got to go. So I’m going to definite have to rip out kitchen and dining room floors to deal with the leveling issue as well as for continuity; . If I sand down the existing wood in the living room and hallways, could I lay new wood in kitchen and dining room and stain so it all matches or is that a pipe dream and I’m going to need all new floors throughout?
I already have a kitchen contractor and the design done, but I have to do much of the above work before the kitchen can go in, so I’m confused if I should hire a general contractor or an interior designer to take care of the job overall. I feel like (based on watching HGTV ) that the interior designer would be more of assistance in also tying together colors, finishes, fixtures and furniture layout and other aesthetics as well as managing the project, but maybe I’m wrong. Thoughts?

Comments (4)

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!