SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
arlinek

For those with a lovely view from your house: city lights or ocean vu

arlinek
3 years ago

I'm in my 70s, widowed for a year and ready to move out of a VERY nice, but too-large-now, home & 1/2 acre lot to manage. My dream was always to have a sparkling city lights and/or ocean view (close enough to see a nice, distant chunk of ocean but can't afford to be right on top of it, of course) from living room, rear yard and/or deck - single story house. I'm in San Diego, moving closer to kids in Palos Verdes, Calif., 1.5 hrs. away. That view I want is really gonna cost me + I'm fussy & I'm most likely going have to spend $$ for upgrades in decor, etc.

For those that are lucky enough to have either city lights or an ocean view (so, either a day view or a night view, really) - which did/do you prefer? Most importantly, if this is your first experience having one or both of those, DID YOU FINALLY START TO TAKE IT FOR GRANTED AND YOU DON'T REALLY APPRECIATE/NOTICE IT SO MUCH ANY MORE? I won't be entertaining very much now as I used to so not a lot of people to share it with, sadly. Do you still look/sit outside and love & cherish your view after the first 6 mos. and way beyond? Would you do it again if you moved? I guess I'm trying to determine if that view is worth, say, $50,000 - 100,000 extra. I'm really "waffling" ... and if I spring for it, in order to afford it, I will have to do a lot remodeling to bring the house up to my "standards/preferences". The couple we bought THIS house from, 18 yrs. ago, when I asked her if SHE still looked and admired the lights & hills view that this has, she said, "No - she didn't really notice it anymore". And I see that *I* don't look too often in last several years, myself, unless I walk out there to see it at night. It's not visible unless you walk around to the back - can't see it from our side patio.

I know, everyone should have such a dilemma, right? But, it's my last house, my last chance, but if the thrill is gone after a year or so, I'd rather prefer to put that money more into decor that's already in the house. Thanks for anyone's suggestion or opinion.

Comments (8)

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm