SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bobstrauss

Seeking structural advice for Pergola (aka is my idea bad?)

bobstrauss
3 years ago

This is my back deck. Looking to build a roughly 14' wide (side to side on pic) and 14' deep (back to front, or grass to house) pergola. Really wanting a similar style to the following photo (except mine will be freestanding on 4 posts):

A few important issues to note: this is in San Antonio, Texas, so there's no snow to consider. There will also be no wisterias anywhere near this thing - no major loads aside from the pergola itself and some string lights. I'd also really like to pull this off without having to use angle/knee braces. Am initially thinking of the following (all pressure treated pine):

10' 6x6 posts, notched on each side to accept 2x8 beams (running a ~12-13 ft span perpendicular to decking). Lag bolts to connect.

14' 2x6 rafters running parallel to deck boards (for a ~12-13 ft span) spaced ~24" oc (I understand this won't be to code, but I'm not loading things up top)

14' purlins (using 2x2s) spaced ~12" oc

So in short, can I span 12-13' between the posts using a couple 2x8s for each beam? And can the rafters span 12-13' if they're 2x6s? And would it be possible doing without angle/knee braces if I use some heavy-ish 90-brackets between post/beam and beam-rafter?

Thanks for the help!

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!