SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
westes

Can I Fertilize Shrubs Safely in June?

I purchased some Espoma Plant Tone fertilizer to use for hedges of Pittosporum and Photinia. My gardener is saying it is too late to apply it and we might kill the hedge if we apply now in June. I am in a region where there is no Summer rain and the average daily temperatures will be 80F to 95F. Is there any safe method I can follow to fertilize the hedges now? They are well-established plants, but they have generally failed to thrive. They have never been fertilized in over five years, and there is not a good mulch layer.

In terms of detailed instructions, Espoma is saying for trees and shrubs: "1 cup for each foot of branch spread (diameter of the plant)." The plants have about a three-foot spread, so that would be roughly three cups per plant. Maybe I could apply a lower dose to minimize the risk to the plants at this time of the year?

How important is it to mix the fertilizer into the topsoil, versus just sprinkling it along the surface? How often would I need to water the plants with a hose to get the fertilizer to the roots? The plants are currently on a drip line system, so large parts of the topsoil would not be getting irrigated.

Comments (5)