SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
julee_s

New Thuja Green Giant Help Needed

Julee S
3 years ago

Hi. I am afraid I majorly screwed up and I'm freaking out. We are trying to plant tall trees along our fence to get privacy from our neighbors who have a tall pool deck overlooking our yard. Our yard is raised a bit so we wanted them tall, at least 15 feet.

We ordered 7 Thuja Green Giant and had them planted. The site we bought them from said they grow up 5 to 8 feed wide and to plant them 5' feet apart for privacy. I was thinking they needed 2.5' per side so we instructed to have them planted 2.5' off the fence and 5' feet on center apart from each other. I was looking up care tips and now I'm seeing these trees will grow much wider (15 to 20'!!) than the site we purchased them from indicated. I'm not sure what to do.

If they hit the fence will they stop growing or do we have to worry about it damaging the neighbors fence? The bed we had put in is about 5' off the fence so maybe we should move them to the end of the bed and then eventually they will grow further into our yard.

I think these are not the trees I thought they were and I'm afraid these trees are too huge for the area we have now. We thought these were tall narrow trees. Any suggestions on what we should do. Can we salvage these some how or did we just make a really expensive mistake now have to get rid of these?

Comments (25)