Window brands to avoid?

Kathsgrdn

Contractor coming out Thursday and I have been looking on-line at windows. The only windows I've ever bought were from Lowe's some 30 years ago. We bought cheap because we were poor. I see Lowe's sells Pella but some of the websites I see say they aren't good, same with Anderson. I wrote down some of the ones they said were good but would like more opinions. Thanks in advance.

SaveComment16Like
Comments (16)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nicole___

I love....Love....LOVE.....Pella and Anderson windows! Jeld-Wen is what they sell at HD or Lowes, if you still want cheap and in stock. But....even Jeld-Wen has an upper and lower line. I've used all of the above. I'm not disappointed in any of them.

As long as they're installed right, they're double pane low "E" glass "and" argon filled is best. Those things would be on my list if you don't mind spending the money. I also like flip outs for cleaning if the window is high up.

I hope that helps. I don't have brands to avoid, just features. I don't like crank outs for instance.....or grilles inside, between the glass.....or built-in blinds....

Save     Thanked by Kathsgrdn
Elmer J Fudd

Since you've said you want to stay in your house long-term, see if you can find a brand with a lifetime (for the original owner) guarantee.

Double panes can fail, no matter what the brand, and replacement panes can be expensive. We were lucky to get a brand with a lifetime guarantee and they cheerfully replace panes. They even inspect what we have when they come out (we have a lot of windows and glass doors) and have found numerous panes to replace that we hadn't identified.

maifleur03

I cannot comment about Pella windows but unless you go to the very high end ones be aware that the surface coating that they use degrades quicker in sunlight. I have Pella doors, front and back but they are fiberglass. Back was installed first and came with a suggestion that it would degrade without a storm door. Both the coating is now flaking after 5 and 8 years. On the trim it appears there is only one later of coating. Not certain if the current windows come with the rolldown screen feature but request regular screens for the windows that you need them. The start splitting near the area that you pull down. I have them on both doors and have had to replace twice. Read the literature carefully but sometimes it is the installer that creates a problem and not the window or door.

chisue

We used Pella casements and French doors when we built this house almost 20 years ago. (Think they are 'architectural series', whatever that's worth.) All are so tight I can't hear a car pulling up on our gravel driveway. I've liked having pleated shades between the panes, but you need a pro window-washer to clean those four sides!

One of the reasons we chose Pella was because their grilles are not flimsy-looking. No one has ever noticed that they are 'fake' and different from our very expensive front windows. (Those are simulated true divided glass -- look exactly like the individual panes of prior centuries.)

There are only a zillion variables in windows...boggles the brain.

One of our better window-washers liked Marvin Windows best.

maire_cate

I don't know if this is relevant but we installed Pella windows and doors (sliders, French, front door) when we remodeled 35 years ago in our other house. They have different price grades and we went with their best product. They held up beautifully, no problems.

We put Anderson in our vacation house 20 years ago and some of the sealed panes have failed and the windows are cloudy. Several of the doors have metal panels on the exterior and they began to de-laminate after 10-12 years. I don't remember what series or grade they were but they've been disappointing.

LoneJack Zn 6a, KC

Chisue - We put Marvin windows in when we built our house 20 years ago and we still love them as much as the day they were installed. Not a single issue.

The 2 Pella doors we put in to get to the back deck have both been replaced.

Elizabeth

I would avoid vinyl windows. Now, some can be good but there is a good number of poorly made ones. We have Anderson windows. Not a bit of problem with any.

dedtired

Years ago a contractor put Simonton windows in my den. I would NOT recommend them. A Home Depot product. It’s good to have windows with two locks rather than one in the center for a tighter seal.

terilyn

We have Renewal by Anderson, love them.

Fun2BHere

In the western U.S., Milgard windows are an excellent brand. However, I agree with other posters that finding the best installer is as important as the window, especially if they take responsibility for checking your window order upon delivery to ensure that there are no manufacturing defects or incorrect sizes.

I was shocked at the cost when I got a bid to replace the windows in my house. I decided to repair the ones we have instead even though that wasn't an inexpensive process.

1 Like Save     Thanked by Kathsgrdn
Michael

I would shop Andersen and Pella as my first choices. Both companies offer replacement series and new construction series windows.

Manufacturers usually offer Good, Better, Best window. Buy the best value you can afford.

1 Like Save     Thanked by Kathsgrdn
bpath reads banned books too

Having grown up with Pella, I always thought they were the best. But when we had to replace two panels at my father’s house, I asked the fellow from the independent company what the current word is on Pella, he said, they WERE the best, but several years ago they changed and now are trading on the old reputation, and he would no longer recommend them.

Elmer J Fudd

"In the western U.S., Milgard windows are an excellent brand. "

We put in Milgard windows 20 years ago. Not replacement windows but original construction ones. In case it matters, we were doing a massive remodel project and the contractor cut out the old ones windows and rebuilt the framing to put in new windows as if it were new construction. We're still very pleased with the windows and with dealing with Milgard for the odd pane or two every now and then that needs to be replaced. It hasn't been that many, fewer than 10%.

It's a mild weather area summer and winter but as fun2behere said, Milgard does have a good reputation here and they stand behind their products.

laceyvail 6A, WV

I used Pella windows when I build this house 15 years ago, wood interior, vinyl exterior, Low-e on the sunny sides of the house. Also snap in grids and windows that flip down for cleaning. A lot of windows. Every single one is as perfect as they day they were installed.

chisue

We have an issue with our (15) French doors. It didn't show up until they were out of warranty (10 yr. warranty). Pella wants a fortune to replace the insulation, and I can't find anyone else to bid the job.

I think it's a basic design error. Later models are not built this way. The rubber insulation between the glass and the frame is exposed to the outdoors and is disintegrating. No problem with the weatherstripping around the frames.

Michael

Chisue, that's referred to as the boot used to seal the IGU (insulated glass unit) to door frame. It's most likely UV degradation.

When in northern Ohio, my repair team would cut away the exposed boot flush to the frame, clean the frame with 90% IPA followed by a dry wipe, then seal the unit with GE5000 100% clear silicone caulk. A good handyman can possibly achieve such a repair.

1 Like Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Windows Black-Framed Windows — Faux Pas or Fabulous?
Find out if black frames would be a great fit for your home — or better to avoid
Full Story
Pets 5 Finishes Pets and Kids Can’t Destroy — and 5 to Avoid
Save your sanity and your decorating budget by choosing materials and surfaces that can stand up to abuse
Full Story
Great Home Projects How to Add a Window Seat
Get a comfy, cozy spot with a view — and maybe even extra storage too
Full Story
Step into a Ferguson Showroom and you'll be surrounded by the latest styles in kitchen, bath and lighting design... Read More