SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jewelisfabulous

Furniture brands to avoid?

jewelisfabulous
9 years ago

After 20+ years in a queen bed, my husband and I will upgrade to a king sometime this year. :) The current headboard/footboard/rails are in perfect condition despite 3 moves and nightly use -- no scratches, dings, or gouges -- despite not babying the wood AT ALL.

Conversely, I bought a pair of side chairs with wood arms and legs for my living room from American Signature about 8 years ago. They're RARELY sat in, yet there are places the stain has scratched off and a couple gouges. I can't explain it except to say it's got to be poor manufacturing.

I really don't want to spend a few thousand on a new bedroom suite and have the same experience as I've had with the arm chairs. I truly anticipate using this set until I'm taken out the door feet first. So, I'm asking you good people: are there any furniture brands to avoid because of performance issues? Conversely, what furniture brands are known for lasting well?

Comments (39)

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Pottery Barn

• beth09
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

What price range are you wanting to be in? (low, mid, high) That dictates a lot to what brands people might suggest.

• Related Discussions

Shower Bases: Brands to recommend, Brands to avoid?

Q

Comments (4)
    Please take a look at our Acrylic shower pans. We manufacture very high quality pans and stand by them with a lifetime warranty. You will pay a little more for our product, but will be very happy with it. I will be happy to answer any questions you may have about our products. Here is a link that might be useful: MTI Whirlpools
    ...See More

AVOID Furniture Refinishing Studio

Q

Comments (1)
    senbding thuis down
    ...See More

Appliances for the kitchen- brands to avoid

Q

Comments (48)
    Multiple SZ repairmen as well as a dealer have recommended KA for wall oven, saying they’re reliable and easiest to get parts for. But then why would the same company make JA which has such a lousy reputation? I‘m convinced high end fridges last longer because they’re so expensive to replace that people put up with the repairs. I’ve got a 20 year old set that they’re trying to talk me into full rebuilds for at a grand each as I recall. I’ve got a Samsung fridge which is about 8 years old, no problems and I like it, but I’d not attempt to sway the masses based on my lone experience. Yes stainless is different, but even within the brand. My Bosch DW is significantly different from my Bosch range, my Bosch range is closer to my Samsung fridge. They‘re not right next to each other so it doesn’t bother me. I’d be more concerned about the style; esp handles, than worry about the metal as long as they’re all supposedly just “stainless.”
    ...See More

24 inch gas wall ovens - brands to consider? brands to avoid?

Q

Comments (2)
    There are a number of reviews of the GE JGRP20SENSS and Frigidaire FFGW2426US. People like the GE better. Note that the Frigidaire has a low-powered electric broiler which surprised buyers. Maybe it would be worth exploring the addition of a 240 volt circuit for an electric wall oven of which there are many more choices.
    ...See More
  • palimpsest
    9 years ago

The problem with most new furniture finishes is that they are a very thin sprayed on finish.

• jewelisfabulous
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Price-wise, I figure we're looking at upper mid to high range.

• jellytoast
    9 years ago

nosoccermom, are you suggesting Pottery Barn as furniture to avoid or furniture that lasts well? The OP asked one question at the beginning of the thread and another at the end ... ?

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    9 years ago

I have always heard avoid Pb.

• beth09
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Definitely stay away from PB. When I was looking not long ago for a livingroom set, I found a TON of consumer complaints on the poor workmanship of their furniture. Flexsteel is going downhill but they aren't really in the pricepoint you are looking at anyway.

Here's a thread that may help. (realize it says upholstery but these lines usually sell everything)

• Rudebekia
    9 years ago

Can anyone comment on Legacy Classic Furniture? There's an attractive dining set at Macys but I can't find anything about the company.

• User
    9 years ago

Why not keep your existing furniture and just replace the bed?

• jewelisfabulous
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Using the word "suite" in my OP is a bit misleading. I'm keeping the armoire and a round table I use on my side as a nightstand, but want to buy the bed and, for hubs, a nightstand. Both pieces may or may not come from the same company. I just need to identify what manufacturers to avoid and which can be trusted to produce an excellent product.

• debbie12153
    9 years ago

Avoid Ashley anything

• PRO
    MDLN
    9 years ago

Found it helpful to look in the clearance section @ Macy's, where you could see damage and often really thin veneers of wood. In general, disappointed with the quality of furniture at Macy's. Am considering DR set by Hooker (that I saw at Goods Furniture in Kewanee, IL).

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Yes, I meant to avoid PB. It's overpriced and poor quality.

• User
    9 years ago

Ahh, sorry I misunderstood. I have Thomasville bedroom furniture that has lasted well, but I don't know whether their current craftsmanship is equal.

• Rudebekia
    9 years ago

This is a little depressing because I am looking at the PB Hudson bedroom group. I like it, and it is very hard to find a full sized bed elsewhere these days. I am not hard at all on furniture (single female with spartan habits) but I certainly don't want it to fall apart within a few years. BTW, I am moving from a house into a condo and completely renewing my furniture! Fun!

• busybee3
    9 years ago

I have found hooker pieces to be attractive in design, but I would consider the quality to be fair/moderate...

we have some ethan allen, harden and henkle harris wood furniture which is well made and the finish has held up beautifully for 25+ yrs...

• jewelisfabulous
    Original Author
    9 years ago

What do you all think about brands like Henredon and Baker?

• rosesstink
    9 years ago

If you are willing to go towards the upper end of the spectrum then look at Stickley and Harden. If you've got the money, don't look for what to avoid. Look for known quality in a style you like.

• sas95
    9 years ago

We bought a few pieces of Stickley furniture for are bedroom and are very happy with it. Not cheap, but they do run good sales a few times a year. I'm pretty sure it will last forever.

• Joe
    9 years ago

Jewel,

Desired to be more informed about furniture so I purchased the book, Shopping for Furniture, by Lewin, printed in 2004 The author has 40+ years in the furniture industry.

His words about Baker and Henredon:

Baker-

"One of the best. At the very least one of the top five producers..."

Henredon-

"One of the top ten producers..."

Best wishes with your bedroom furniture purchase.

~bgj

• jewelisfabulous
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The problem, rosestink, is that even some high priced furniture can wear very poorly. That's why I'm asking what brands to avoid.

• Michelle
    9 years ago

Cassandra, my husband and I puchased an entire suite of bedroom furniture from Pottery Barn two years ago. I've been nothing but impressed with the quality and it's absolutely beautiful!

• rosesstink
    9 years ago

Jewel - There are some manufacturers that are quality. Period. That's what you should be looking for.

• schicksal
    9 years ago

Our bedroom furniture is by Huppe and it's held up great. So have the other pieces I got from Basset.

On the other hand, a round breakfast area table from an Ashley Furniture / Rooms to Go type place has been fairly terrible. We got it because we needed something to help stage our old house when it was for sale and we never really intended for it to last, but it's still been surprising how much of the finish on the tabletop has lifted. I have no clue why - we use coasters and placemats but it still came up. Too bad because it's a stylish design.

• jewelisfabulous
    Original Author
    9 years ago

" There are some manufacturers that are quality. Period. That's what you should be looking for."

Those manufacturers would be.....?

• mustangs81
    9 years ago

I am not able to answer your question specifically as I haven't purchased furniture in awhile.

Like most product these days...quality is questionable even for traditionally quality manufacturers. 15 years ago I made a trip to Furnitureland South in High Point, NC to furnish my new home. I got top of the line at affordable (for me) prices and all have held up well (except for damage done by my cats). However, I have heard that those brands have shifted to out-of-country manufacturing so the quality is probably not at the same level.

• jewelisfabulous
    Original Author
    9 years ago

So, what I'm hearing is that Pottery Barn, Macy's, RTG, and Ashley brands should be avoided. Hooker is a toss-up. Thomasville, Baker, Henredon, Stickley, and Harden are known to be excellent ....but could have changed in the last few years. It's a starting point in my search!

• lana_roma
    9 years ago

How about checking out consignment stores? In my city there are some stores in old affluent neighborhoods that have lots of high-end furniture in a very good condition. Truly an old time quality, and most styles tend to be classic traditional or upscale modern, like authentic Scandinavian teak furniture. The prices aren't cheap, though. I also came across some unique pieces brought by original owners from Europe or Asia. High end consignment stores are picky about what merchandise they are willing to accept, so no Ikea, Ashley or Dania there!

• Joe
    9 years ago

Jewel,

From the book referenced earlier in the thread:

Thomasville - "A big, well-done line of excellent wood and upholstery."

Stickley - "Stickley is what fine furniture making is all about. Uncompromising quality and unquestioned status as one of the country's finest wood furniture producers."

Harden - "Very good product...good attention to quality."

Hooker - "Medium priced. Excellent value. A good buy."

~bgj

• jlc712
    9 years ago

IMO, any good quality furniture made now is very expensive. For that reason, I prefer to buy antiques, where you can find a better value. Of course, you will not find an antique king size bed. I'd spend the majority of your money to get a nice bed, and buy an antique table or small chest for the nightstand.

• ck_squared
    9 years ago

My favorite furniture company is Room and Board. Not sure if that is your style though. We have lots of furniture from there including our bedroom furniture which has lasted about 15 years and still going strong both in style and quality.

• dedtired
    9 years ago

Avoid anything from Raymour & Flanigan store. Don't buy from stores in the mall (except department stores that carry a variety of brands). Ethan Allen today is not the EA of old. Do shop at better furniture stores, again that carry a variety of brands. I have had great luck with Hickory Chair and Sherrill brands. They are no more expensive than PB but miles above in quality.

• vedazu
    9 years ago

Cassandra: it is very hard to find a full sized bed elsewhere these days." Actually, EBay and consignment stores are loaded with full-sized beds by great makers because no one wants them anymore. I keep saying for all single females: Give the Queen beds to your kids or put them in the guest rooms and get a fullsize for yourself. Plenty of room, and makes your bedroom look huge.

• User
    9 years ago

In our master BR we have antiques, Baker, Hooker, a bespoke Dutch secretary of scrubbed pine, and a sofa from Ballard Designs. Guess which one will wear out first....if you guessed Ballard you're right, lol. It was made somewhere in Ohio but is very obviously not as sturdy as our other furniture but we bought it mostly for our dogs so I'm not that fussed. I would recommend a mix of styles and manufacturers for a more organic look.

• lizzierobin
    9 years ago

If you have a chance, take a look at Ethan Allen. We purchased this for our Master BR, and couldn't be happier with the style and quality.

• lucyd_58
    9 years ago

Ditto Pottery Barn. Quality is bad - it doesn't last. I've had success with Ethan Allen.

• awm03
    9 years ago

Can anyone comment about buying furniture from Safaviah?

• rpsinfoman
    6 years ago

The best advice is do some research on construction, where the material used to build is sourced from, and upholstery quality. There are very high quality pieces available at all price points, some available through a network of smaller furniture dealers and mom and pop shops, and others more mainstream, and ultra premium custom retailers.

Generic words like high end, most expensive, top brands, in reality have little to do with quality of the finished piece, and the value it offers at the given price point.

Much has changed in the furniture industry in the last 20 years. Asian sourcing of raw materials has had a real impact on end quality. The brand names that once represented the very best are no longer what they were. Many have been swallowed and bought by huge multi-national manufacturers putting a label (name brand) on products made with cheap imported material with a final assemby point of USA.

Case goods and real hardwood furniture with meticulously crafted wood working skill is rare these days. What you find is a nice looking piece made with engineered asian imported wood, topped with veneer which doesn,t last. Thomasville is owned by a conglomerate and not quite what it used to be. Pottery Barn does not manufactuer there own furniture, so quality and value can not be guaranteed. Stay away from department store furniture, same thing.

Decide on a budget first then shop for quality pieces within that framework. Stay away from the chains and box retailers and stick with smaller furniture dealers and retailers. You might be surprised. I like companies like Smiths, Marshfield, Lancer, Flexsteel to name a few, keeping in mind these are not ultra high end or designer. But they do offer exceptional quality and and value. Companies like Best Home Furnishings offer some incredical value/quality on a modest budget. A high priced sofa isn’t built any better and won’t necesarrily perform or last any longer than one at a reasonable price, providing there is quality and value! Thats for you to decide, your budget, and what price point you are shopping.