SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_979792806

cultivated ramps

j
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Hi:

Later last year I got my hands on some ramps, have never had any, and put them in a self watering container (SWC) that's 16" tall, and in a cool, shady area, using left over DIY blueberry container soil (1 part G&B premium potting mix, 1 part pine mulch, 1 part peat moss, 1 or 2 parts perlite until it drained well). I topped it with whatever bark mulch was in my yard. They have not been fertilized at all. The plan has been to move them indoors if the temps exceed 80F here in coastal so cal, zone 10a. I've read one should wait at least a year before any harvest. Early spring some small leaves sprouted, I tasted one snippet and it was interesting, super potent garlic/green onion aftertaste. Sadly, slugs discovered the SWC and ate the leaves!

Discouraged, I've left it alone going on two months. The SWC has remained moist without topping up or watering. Given this, I thought they might've rotted or something, but I just dug one up and it looks alive. So, what now? Scrap the project, or leave them in the SWC? If the latter, then do I keep the soil moist, or let it dry out here and there? Fertilize? Flush with water?

Thanks for your time!

Comment