Calluses on feet

socks

Any suggestions for keeping foot calluses at a minimum?

SaveComment32Like
Comments (32)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Elizabeth

Pumice stone or foot file. Some are motorized devices. I know there are foot peels that help peel the dead layers off. Also a good foot cream is important. You really have to do it regularly and not let it build up.

1 Like Save     Thanked by socks
Elmer J Fudd

I don't have a suggestion but would like to point out that you may have answered your own question, in part. Click to enlarge:

11 Likes Save     Thanked by socks
Elizabeth

😃

Funny reply but feet dry out anyway due to lack of oil glands and friction from footwear. There is a rapid turnover in skin cells. Feet seem to require more attention as we age also....

arcy_gw

Pumice stone every time you shower. I clog the tub let my feel "soak" the last thing I do is go after the callouses on my feet. You can also slather your heels with vaseline and put socks on over night.

Save     Thanked by socks
eld6161

And moisturize.

Michael

Pumice stone and O'Keeffe's Healthy Feet.

ci_lantro

Microplane foot file and ProLinc Be Natural Callus Eliminator. Mostly just the microplane foot fie. Microplane & the callus eliminator during sandals season.

I tried a pumice stone & it didn't work well for me. I need something more aggressive. Don't be afraid of the microplane; it removes only dead skin.

2 Likes Save     Thanked by socks
Rose Pekelnicky

I was getting them on my feet. After planing them down I started wearing slippers all the time in my house and the calluses have subsided. I have hardwood and ceramic tile floors. I think wearing just socks or bare feet on the hard floors was contributing to the calluses.

whatsayyou18

This is a fantastic product: https://lovaskin.us/

Save    
socks

Elmer...I wear socks every day!! LOL...

I'll agree, Elizabeth. I do keep after the callus every few days, but it does really build up fast.

Save    
Zalco/bring back Sophie!

Amlactin moisturizer is incredibly helpful at keeping callouses at bay for me.

2 Likes Save    
Elmer J Fudd

"Elmer...I wear socks every day!! LOL..."

I dislike emojis and drawings, and rarely use them but I think one applies here...

2 Likes Save    
Kathsgrdn

My calluses are horrible any more. I am slack about using products on my feet, but have been soaking them in vinegar and warm water. The amount of dead skin that comes off the calluses when I do that is amazing.

jemdandy

In reading the above posts, I not sure where the offending callous is located on the foot. Callouses on the bottom part of the foot is normal, and protective especially on the heel, Callouses on the bottom of the foot result from using the foot as nature intended. If you protect the sole of the foot by wearing shoes, the callous will be thin, but go barefoot enough and a thick, tough callous will form on the bottom side of the foot.

socks

Big toe, jemdandy.

Save    
socks

I even knit them, Elmer, but haven't in quite a while...

4 Likes Save    
Bluebell66

I use Kerasal about once weekly, and Flexitol Heel Balm the other 6 days of the week. Apply just before bed and put on socks. If they are really bad right now, start with something like Callus Terminator. I bought it on Amazon and it works really well. If i ever let them get out of control, I use that first, then a pumice stone, then the Flexitol/Heel Balm combo. Works like a charm with little effort once you’re in the routine.

Elmer J Fudd

Nice!

Don't you live in SoCal? Thick socks may be only seasonally wearable, unless you're prone to having cold feet. Very fancy and impressive.

Alisande

Apparently one like this (but I forget which brand) was recommended on the Today Show last week. I have one, probably in another brand--there are several. I was surprised they recommended using it right after showering, on wet feet. I'll have to try that.

Foot Rasp File on Amazon

joyfulguy

I think that calluses usually appear where there's above average pressure (or scuffing?) so if the condition persists after removal, the calluses rebuild to protect the flesh beneath.

Perhaps taking some action to spread the pressure over a wider area, e. g. a slight pad under nearby pressure carrying areas might help.

Sometimes removing the cause of the problem works better than coping with it, ongoing.

Maybe.

ole joyful

bbstx

I was coming to mention Amlactin but Zalco beat me to it. Have you tried regular professional pedicures followed by Amlactin or something similar every night in between?

During isolation when my usual spa was closed,I used Baby Foot peel from Amazon. DD loves it. It did a good job on the dry skin on my feet.

P.S. Get thin socks to wear to bed after moisturizing. I’ve got some “grease” I’m still trying to get out of a set of sheets.

joann_fl

I have been suffering with them for YEARS. Even my orthotics didn't help. If you can stay off your feet awhile they will get better. I have tried everything and nothing works. I use a soft thick insert which make them bearable.

socks

Thank you everyone for the great suggestions, product recommendations. I'll be trying several.

Save    
Elizabeth

Beautiful socks, Socks. I knit almost the exact pair in blue. ( Your's are knit top-down, right? I am a toe-up knitter ) Here in the frozen north they are all year-rounders.

Kathsgrdn

I never go barefoot, even in the house but I have 4 thick calluses on my feet.

sealavender

There is a foot peel product called Babyfoot. The peeling part is nasty, but I have had good results. I have used Flexitol heel balm as well; it works, but it also smells like sheep (lanolin?) to me. I also bought a urea cream in Japan; I may have to hunt down more soon.

socks

Nice, Elizabeth. Yes, top down. My feet would cook in those in the summer, even now.

Sealavender, I’ve seen a 40% urea product on Amazon. I have a couple products suggested here in my cart not sure which way to go on that yet.

I’ve been working on it with a sandpaper thing and the ped egg, keeping it moisturized with lotion, wearing socks unless walking outside. It’s getting better but very tender. I thought of going to the podiatrist but don’t really feel like doing that.

Save    
sealavender

Socks, Babyfoot didn't completely remove my worst heel calluses, but my feet looked way better after I tried it. The bad part was that they really started to peel during a yoga class I attended, probably due to the texture of the mat. I'm sure people were grossed out.

ci_lantro

I'm going to add some background on my situation/ experience. I grow problem thick callous on the sides of my big toe. Ongoing since I was a kid. I remember sitting in the bathtub and peeling them away when I was still in grade school. I inherited wonky feet; my dad had the same problem. Wasn't a big problem until I hit later middle age.

For a good while, I used a callous shaver (Tweezerman). Works, but the razor bit is unnerving. Then I started developing cracks on the outside side of my feet one winter. I went though one bottle of Amlactin lotion--so-so. Like sending a boy to do a man's job, as they say. That is when I switched to using the BeNatural Callus Eliminator. Used that for a while (dangerous on the feet because the feet are very slippery. You need to stay seated in one place for duration.)

After reading about the foot rasp/ Microplane, aka 'cheese grater' in numerous places, I caved and bought one. This tool works fantastic on big thick callous. It cuts only the callous/ you can run it across good healthy skin and it does nothing. So while it looks scary, you are not going to hurt yourself with it.

After years of experimentation, w/ various methods (pumice stone, too) and products, what works best for me is the Microplane and follow-up w/ the BeNatural callous eliminator when I want my feet to look the best they can--summer, sandals, painted toe nails.

I did go to a podiatrist but only one time. He shaved the callous down--decided that I could easily do that myself so I never went back.

ETA: The microplane foot file/ rasp looks identical to the ones that I use in the kitchen for grating hard cheese & citrus zest. So, if you have one in the kitchen, you could test it on your feet. A trip through the dishwasher should eliminate an ick factor (or it would for me!) I do need to try the kitchen ones to make certain they aren't more aggressive than the one sold to use on your feet. Will try to remember to do that next time.

Oh, w/ my callous, I build them rapidly so I have to break out the microplane about every 2-3 weeks. If I get overzealous w/ the removal, my toe is kinda' sore for a couple of days. The callous does serve to protect the bone underneath.

socks

Very helpful Cilantro. Big toe for me too. I wear a wide shoe, but maybe need extra wide but I'm afraid of tripping. I don't want to wear some dumb looking black orthopedic shoes!!! LOL...still a little vain I guess. I was thinking of seeing a podiatrist but probably don't need that. I have one of those rasps, actually I have a selection of tools. It's amazing how fast calluses build up. I'll check out Be Natural. I have noticed some products say not for diabetics, I have to avoid those.

1 Like Save    
C Marlin

I also have and use the Microplane, have had it for years.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Houseplants Candelabra Tree Is One Cool Cactus Look-Alike
Here’s everything you need to know about growing this dramatic, easy-care plant indoors
Full Story
Houseplants Grow Donkey Tail Succulent, a High-Impact, Low-Maintenance Plant
Easy-care Sedum morganianum is perfect for hanging planters and mixed containers
Full Story
Life Stressed Out? Try Hitting the Woodshop
Building things with your hands just might boost your mood while giving you personal new pieces for your home
Full Story
Design Builders & Remodeling is a full service residential design build firm headquartered in Ridgefield,... Read More
Our aim is to capture a client's sense of style and blend it with our take on easy elegance. We draw inspiration... Read More