Muku SAn
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Model No: Goodman CAPF4860C6BA

Refrigerant: R410A

Specs: As per the spec in the pic below, it seems it is a 4-5 ton

Background: Trying to sell the house due to bad financial situation

Issue: House not blowing cold air, Also Compressor fan not turning

The technician came by. He didn't check anything in attic. He just tried to check freon levels outside. But the compressor fan isn't coming on. So he told us that this unit needs 17 pounds of freon and its all empty. He can do a nitrogen test/Fill it up by freon. He said the unit has some more miles on it. But the cost of repairing the leak and topping up freon would cost a lot. So it might be better to replace it. Not sure what to do.

Previous Issue: Last year the same thing happened. The technician came by and said there might be a leak. He put in like 4 pounds. It lasted us from Aug to the rest of the year. But it seems it's all gone this year

Questions:

1. Is that calculation correct for total freon required to fill up? Last year guy told us it needs around 11-12 pounds. This year it's 17. So what's the correct number as per the model

2. Can the HVAC work on like 4 pounds of top-up and last us through summer. I understand the leak will still empty it. But maybe i can sell the house and let the new owner know that they will need to fix it.

3. From price point - How much should the leak test and repair cost. And what is the avg price for freon per pound for 410A. Any ideas?

4. Main Question: What should i Do? I dont want to spend money on it. WE can't live without AC in this heat. Please help

Comments (4)