SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mamaandsage

How bad am I slowing my project down? Decisions, thoroughness, busy..

mamaandsage
3 years ago

I probably shouldn't be writing this as my title shows I need to keep this project moving, not get off focus with chatting about it. However, I've found myself feeling rushed and feeling bad about myself through so much of the process. I have a GC that comes with a designer, and they have allowed us to do demo, hire out electric, and more. We took out 2 small walls, gutted kitchen, they put a hole in block home for a window and enlarged a window. Dealing with electrician messing up all light placements, not listening to us and thinking he owns the house, and then becoming a jerk when he want full payment for the job before completion, while we research how to maneuver breaking contract with him to not have him back in house and using another electrician. Bathroom done 1.5 yrs ago, maybe took a mth, but I researched quite a bit prior. My teen and I started smoothing out walls in hole house after that while we removed all popcorn (1600 sq ft house). painted 3 bedrooms and primed main living space. cabs are in, sink, countertops, 3 doors waiting to be installed late next week, floors will be chosen by Monday, and hope to get them in in 2 weeks if no probs, then island can be built-it's sitting in our front room and can't go in yet as it's on legs.

In the heat of summer we would've loved to have the electrician move to next faze of installing fans and finishing up with the cans although we're dealing with his attitude and trying to decide if we live with the lights or risk messing up drywall to move them. There have been a few glitches along the way and a couple things i'm not happy with but some things took me quite a many trip to the store since I was looking for something specific or unique and I'm embarassed how many trips to floor stores simply cuz i couldn't decide. I'm quite surprised that hardware is tricky as I thought I'd just pick black cups and circle knobs but now that I look and designer and a friend said the cups were too country so now I'm unsure what I like in regards to hardware.

My GC is ready to go, hubby is trying to not be frustrated. I have kids and corona virus homeschooling didn't help. EAch thing takes a bit or a lot of research, floors mean getting doors now, means may as well get a video doorbell now... Slippery slope and so many things to have to decide!! Kitchen demo started march 28, I've been getting rid of things in the house for years planning for taking out everying for floors. I'm thinking another month before most of it is done then we can leisurely paint and decorate.

GC keeps gently asking when I'll have floors in so they can finish up. I have to thank God for a GC who wants to get job done and I think I'm the rarest bird that needs more time. ugh. I'm probably looking for empathy although that prob won't help me to move along faster. My post is probably too vague for tips on how to move faster (with decisions mostly, I think). Some things arrived broken and hardware is delayed so it's also going slower, but in general a lot of people wonder why I take too long and it's making me feel really bad! I don't enjoy spending this much of my life on the remodel either! I don't regret how long it took me on some things as they wouldn't have turned out how they did if I wouldn't have thought them out that thoroughly, although it still would've been nice to come up with those ideas quicker. :)

Comments (13)