SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
coriannh0uzzviolatedmyprivacy

How do you get the soil ready? Slow and not so slow methods...

In the past, whenever I had a new garden to get ready I have taken my time prepping the soil. In my area of California, that has sometimes meant double digging, amending, solarizing, sheet mulching, wood chip mulching, etc.

The double digging was mostly at previous gardens. As time has gone one, my habits have become more time/labor efficient and have mostly included some sort of mulching... and waiting. :)

I had planned to do that after my huge yard remodel this past year too... but then I found these rose forums and you all know how that goes!

Now that I have been enlightened by everyone on these forums as to all the roses I really want to grow... I don't want to wait as long for the soil, but I still want to focus on it and do it right since that is really where all the magic is.

I'm wondering if you focus on the soil, what are your techniques when you want to do it right, but want something a little faster than the 'mulch and wait' method?

I'm including some "green manure" techniques (or cover crop if you want to call it that) with alfalfa, sweet peas and lupines. I'm considering getting a broadfork (but they are so expensive!) to break up some of the soil in certain areas after all the hard rain we have been having. I'm also planning to do some vermicomposting in the ground (free-range worms), but that's later this year so that's more long term planning.

Here's my confession though. I'm kinda 'ranch girl white trash' at times. I'm doing an odd, old (and pretty darn trashy) method my family used to do. It is in a large area I hope to plant in sometime later this year. So here it is. I dig holes about where I want the roses to go, let them stay open, then just dump veggie food scraps, paper towels and cardboard waste in them. The stuff is all chopped up and the cardboard has to be free of any plastic of course. For me, I also have to use stuff my dogs don't find appetizing (they don't like most veggies). If the holes get full I just dig it down a little deeper or wider, mix it up a bit and keep dumping in them. It is kinda like mini compost heaps. Of course this is only appropriate for a back yard or a rural area where you don't have neighbors that are wondering why the heck you are dumping garbage in your yard. My husband is not white trashy and looks at me much like neighbors would, laughing at me, shaking his head. I will keep doing it though, until it warms up enough for guests to come over. Then I will just cover up the holes with dirt and mulch.

Curious... what are your techniques?

Comments (27)

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County