Fun with Flour #2
6 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (86)
- 6 years agolast modified: 6 years ago
Related Discussions
Corn Flour vs Brown Rice Flour
Comments (14)Oh, no! Bad sentence on my part. Southern California. We had a wonderful Syrian bakery that made brilliant pita. I still miss them. My heart breaks for what has happened there, but I've never been to Syria. You haven't said why you're eschewing "enriched flour" and don't need to, but white flour products are required by law to use vitamin enriched flour, and even most home baking white flour (bleached or unbleached) is enriched and has a little malted barley flour in it as well, which has a lot of an enzyme that's needed for rising. Unless you have a specific problem with one or more of the vitamins or the barley, the enrichment shouldn't be a problem. Maybe you're just concerned that there's white flour in there. White flour is often added to whole wheat flour to make the rise spongier. Sometimes vital wheat gluten is added to strengthen the gluten (the bran in the whole wheat can weaken or cut it). Wheat gluten can be isolated by hand by washing the wheat and kneading out the starch, and has been done for centuries, so it's not a weird industrial product. Anything that's made with white flour in the U.S. uses enriched flour. There may be some places that mill and sift their own flours that do not, but that's an extremely rare exception. Therefore, I would guarantee that the Lebanese pita are made with enriched flour. The thinner thing is probably a lack of leavening. Even in the Middle East, nowadays, the pita have leavening and are a bit spongy. That's not traditional. :) I haven't seen Kontos, and I'd guess it's an East Coast brand. I don't doubt that it's good! Whole Foods might be a better place to get 100% whole wheat, however, unless you can find a Middle Eastern or halal store where people are into the "new" kind of dietary laws (no white flour, pasture raise livestock, etc.). Maybe try stores near the colleges? College kids tend to be into better eating. Turlock is from California. I know they freeze to ship it to avoid preservatives, so you might find it there, but more likely the Whole Foods have something local. Good luck on your quest....See MorePie- out of AP flour, but have cake flour and bread flour
Comments (7)If you decide to use bread flour, one of the tips for using high-protein flour is to add a little more fat - above the amount called for in the recipe. Where the additional fat coats the flour, it blocks the water from being absorbed, so it also reduces the amount of gluten that is developed. Be sure to keep mixing to a bare minimum. You could also use a blend of bread and cake flour and use the regular amount of fat in the recipe. I disagree with Linda about the protein content being "miniscule". There are more baking "mistakes" made by using the incorrect flour. High-protein flour gives you tough pastry, cookies, and cakes..... Hydration will be completely incorrect - as the chart below will show. Information from "CookWise" by Shirley O. Chorriher: Cake flour - 8 g. of protein per cup National Brand (Gold Medal, Pillsbury) Bleached All-Purpose - 9-10 g. of protein/cup National Brand Unbleached All-Purpose - 12+ g. protein per cup Northern Unbleached All-Purpose (King Arthur) - 13 g. protein per cup Bread Flour - 13-14 g. protein per cup ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ The water absorption capacity of white flours for 1-cup of water to form a sticky dough ball in a food processor: 14 g. protein Bread Flour - 2-cups (packed) + 1 T. 13 g. protein Unbleached Flour - 2-cups (packed) + 2 T. water 12 g. protein All-purpose Flour - 2-1/4 c. 11 g. protein All-purpose Flour - 2-1/3 c. + 1 T. 10 g. protein All-purpose Flour - 2-1/2 c. 9 g. protein Southern All-purpose - 2-1/2 c. + 2 T. 8 g. cake flour - 2-3/4 c. -Grainlady...See MoreFun with Flour
Comments (186)Could be. The trick the Expert taught me is that the margarine (never butter or shortening) must be sticks with 100 Calories per tbsp, and have dairy solids. What I have on hand, and bake with when I want parve, is Earth Balance Soy Free sticks. I've baked with it a lot including cookies, but I still think it was the problem today. Or...I had another thought when I ate one. My brown sugar came in plastic. We've talked about how plastic ruins the powdered sugar. I have a new box. Maybe, I'll split the next batch and test the sugar. I've never had failed cookies before this month! The spritz were a simple mismeasure, no biggie, but the chocolate chips are making me nuts!!!! I mean, I've only made this same recipe ... countless... times. And they're cookies! I can make ugly cookies, but never wrong cookies. ARRRGGGHHH!!!!!!!!!! I had an email saying that my CSA box isn't going to have the chard, broccoli or oranges, but I think I can make the cake with the one I have. Or maybe use mandarins. I have a lot of mandarins....See MoreCan I sub white flour for Whole Wheat pastry flour in this recipe?
Comments (8)There are a whole bunch of recipes for apple/Greek yoghurt quickbreads: https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1SQJL_enUS795US795&ei=gkHIXtaGMI2wytMP37ql0A0&q=greek+yoghurt+apple+bread&oq=greek+yoghurt+apple+bread&gs_lcp=CgZwc3ktYWIQAzIGCAAQFhAeMgYIABAWEB4yBggAEBYQHjIGCAAQFhAeOgQIABBHOggIIRAWEB0QHjoICAAQgwEQkQI6CAgAEJECEIsDOgcIABBDEIsDOggIABCDARCLAzoFCAAQiwM6DggAEOoCELQCEJoBEOUCOgQIABBDOgIIAFDD_jBYq7kxYOC6MWgBcAF4AIAB5AGIAb0kkgEGMC4zMC4xmAEAoAEBqgEHZ3dzLXdperABBrgBAg&sclient=psy-ab&ved=0ahUKEwjWz_fMssjpAhUNmHIEHV9dCdoQ4dUDCAw&uact=5 Re your muffin recipe, you could make it without the whole wheat flour, but you'd want to adjust the quantity of flour and sugar, and that could be tricky for it coming out right the first time. Do you have any bran or unsweetened bran cereal? Because you could make your own whole wheat flour substitute. That would give the rich flavor and earthy structure. You could also make a small pie with three granny smiths. :) Or poached or baked apples, or applesauce. .... I love tart apples. Nix that if you don't....See More- 6 years ago
- 6 years agolast modified: 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years agolast modified: 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years agolast modified: 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years agolast modified: 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years agolast modified: 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years agolast modified: 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years agolast modified: 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years agolast modified: 6 years ago
- 6 years agolast modified: 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years agolast modified: 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years agolast modified: 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years agolast modified: 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
Related Stories

KIDS’ SPACESRoom of the Day: A Fun and Functional Lounge for 2 Tweens
A former narrow playroom becomes a stylish lounge where soon-to-be-teen sisters study and hang out with their friends
Full Story
HOUSEPLANTSCascading Succulents Bring Fun Shapes to Your Indoor Garden
For eye-catching spillers with delicate beauty and minimal needs, it's hard to beat these 2 trailing houseplants
Full Story
COFFEE WITH AN ARCHITECTThe Many Paths of Design, Part 2
Just when you thought the plans were on track ...
Full Story
HOUZZ TVA Tricked-Out Basement for 2 College Basketball Super Fans
In this Houzz TV episode, a couple turn their Georgia basement into a museum dedicated to all things NC State
Full Story
POWDER ROOMSNow Arriving on Platform 2, a Playful Powder Room
Subway graphics from a New York City station add unexpected depth and humor to a tiny half bath in California
Full Story
MOST POPULARBudget Beach House: A Trailer Gets Ready for Summer Fun
Punchy prints and colors star in a creative approach to Jersey Shore living
Full Story
HOUZZ TVA Pizza Oven, a Secret Door and 2 Cooks
In the latest episode of Houzz TV, we revisit this popular Oregon kitchen designed for rolling and tossing dough
Full Story
VINTAGE STYLEMy Houzz: Retro Fun Brings an Ohio Home to Life
Aqua splashes mix with antiques and handmade touches for a lively and personal family home in Toledo
Full Story
HOME TECHTurn 'Obsolete' Tech Into Fun Home Help
Here's how to put your old Mac, Atari or Newton to work around the house
Full Story














Cloud Swift