SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_267933621

Siding smells moldy or is it something else?

HU-267933621
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Has anyone had any issues with LP Smartside lap siding smelling moldy? I moved into a new house in February. They finished building the house at the end of December. I live in South Dakota and ever since the first time it got warm enough to rain, rather than snow, the area outside of my house has smelled incredibly moldy and it seemed to be coming from the house itself. After the builders told me I was nuts, without even coming out to confirm anything, I decided that maybe the odor was due to the fact that the lawn was still dirt, as sod was going to be put down come Spring. Well, the sod has been down for a couple weeks now, and the odor is still very much here, and when it's damp outside it's even worse. It's so bad that when my dog gets out of the car in my driveway it makes her sneeze every single time. It's bad and very obvious. The siding wasn't painted until about 3 weeks ago, and after it was painted the smell seemed to diminish just a bit. I've literally smelled the siding multiple times, and the smell is definitely coming from the house. The north side of the house smells much worse, since it doesn't get as much sun. Anyway, has anyone had a similar experience with the siding, or could it be something behind the siding causing the odor? It doesn't smell any worse around the windows, etc, so I don't think water is getting in around those. I'm beyond frustrated at this point. Thanks in advance for any ideas or suggestions.

Comment (1)