SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sssuzie1

How to combat invasive weed overtaking raised garden beds

sssuzie1
3 years ago

about 4-5 years ago I bought manure from a roadside, small farm, stand. Thinking I’d gotten a great deal, I added it to my (3) raised vegetable garden beds, and was off to a good start. Then this weed started to appear...which I’d pull, only to have it appear in a new spot. I’ve now had to completely empty all the soil from all the garden beds, digging down about 6“ below the bed itself, lining it with landscape fabric, and bringing in all new soil. this worked well for about 2 years, but the weeds still grew outside the beds, started to spread out into our lawn now. This year I started prepping my garden beds only to discover that the weed has grown through the landscape fabric and completely overtake the garden beds again! I was thinking of buying elevated garden beds/planters, or plastic (modular type) garden beds which come with a bottom that has an added layer to catch excess water with a cap to drain it when it’s been excessively wet/rainy weather. Any suggestions for new garden beds that will keep this weed from invading my vegetables again and again?

Comments (10)