SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lohnorris

Need ideas for kitchen layout

lohnorris
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Hi. We are remodeling our kitchen in our 1940's house, removing the wall between the galley kitchen and dining room to open up the space for an eat-in kitchen. We want a peninsula where the wall used to be, and banquette seating by the windows for the view. So, I would love some feedback on

a couple things as this is all new to me --

1. Location of the refrigerator and cooktop/range. The photos show the layout I have come up with so far. I originally did not want the cooktop/range in the peninsula because I didn't want the prep space broken up, but I've decided I want a 36" induction cooktop or range. With the flat induction surface, I think I can live with the cooktop facing out/open space. Should the cooktop be in the middle of the peninsula, or more off to one side? Was thinking it might be better closer to the wall to have nearby cooking staples (salt, pepper, oil) on the counter near the wall, but I think it will be too cramped to have the cooktop close to the frig. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

2. I know that there are very few 36" induction ranges. Has anyone used the AGA 36" Induction Range? Wolf is too expensive, even though it is beautiful. ARe there any other options? Do you see a way that I can have a cooktop and wall oven instead of a range-- cant figure out where I would put the wall oven? Are there issues with installing a wall oven under an induction cooktop?

3. What is a good depth for the peninsula? This is showing 48" deep (cabinets should not go to edge of counter so barstools can fit under)

4. Right now, I have about 70" between the sink and stove. Is that too far? The existing kitchen is 60" and with multiple people in the kitchen, it is a tight squeeze.

5. Downdraft vent -- what brand and models work well?

(FYI - the model is not perfect -- should have overhang on peninsula for barstools, etc. That is the correct peninsula depth that I'm considering)

Thank you for your help!

Comments (2)