SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
psyohe

Shade that folds down from the top of windows?

Peke
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

We live lakefront, and get a wonderful breeze with our attic fan on. We open our windows from the top down, and we want to keep the bottom part of the window covered. Curtains, Roman shades, vertical blinds, roller shades, and mini blinds don't work.

I started searching for roller shade hacks and I saw an IKEA hack of a 35" wide window with a cellular shade, but it won't work with my extra wide windows.

Here is an upside down roller blind with tensioner and strings.

I think I can sew a panel out of fabric or the material in the picture below. I thought maybe a flat shade that is attached to the side of the windows that would let us unhook the top and fold it down so the rest of the window is covered. Sort of like an upside down Roman shade. I thought a dowel rod could be used to hang it and lower it. Then I figured out I had never seen a dowel rod that long. Then, I thought a magnet could be used since we have aluminum windows. I could move the magnetic shade from up high to down below the open window, but I have never seen a magnet that long either.

I found these u shaped hooks on Amazon. I just need to figure out how to get an 89" long dowel rod that would be strong enough and not too thick. Maybe there is a piece of sturdy plastic that could be used instead. I thought about using a tension rod, but 89" would be heavy and would probably fall down. I worry that a metal rod would discolor the shade.

I have 5 windows to cover. My bedroom windows: two are 89" x 71" and 1 is 71" x 71". Living room windows: 71" x 71". I know I can put two shades in each window, but I would rather have 1 shade.

I know they have top down-bottom up shades, but I don't want any strings.

Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!