Sale: If you're really, really into ice cream....

cloudy_christine
SaveComment8Like
Comments (8)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
foodonastump

Wow. Not avail online, limited supply locally. It’s at least a half hour drive for me so it’s making me think twice, which is probably a good thing. Will look at reviews. Or maybe I should acknowledge the cuisinart bowl that’s been in my freezer for years and hasn’t been used even once.

Save    
foodonastump

Ok that sale is deceptive. $400 is Wms Sonoma normal price and they’re saying suggested retail is $545. $500 at BBB but they’re counting on the 20% off which brings us back to $400.

Save    
cloudy_christine

This was from an Epicurious email that went to a page: "The 8 Best Memorial Day Kitchen Sales to Shop This Weekend." I didn't check out the Breville link.

Save    
Lars

I have a Whynter ice cream maker, and it is $330 at Amazon. I've had it for several years and like it a lot. I paid a lot less for it, but I cannot remember how much less. I know it was way under $300 a few years ago.

Save    
nancyofnc

I have a Cuisinart 1 1/2 quart electric ice cream maker that I bought for about $50. Today I churned frozen defrosted bananas, white Karo, whipping cream, vanilla bean and some lemon - 25 minutes to yum (a la Alton Brown). You have to really ask yourself "just how often would I make ice cream"? For us, not really very, and to have an expensive machine that is little used - it would sit idle next to my Breville waffle finger maker.

Save    
annie1992

I also have a small Cuisinart, the kind you have to freeze the insert. I make ice cream about twice a year, I don't really care for it very much, and so I just bought an extra insert so I can make two flavors.

I MIGHT make it more often for family desserts if I didn't have to remember to freeze the inserts. Maybe, but probably not.

Annie

Save    
2ManyDiversions

I never used to eat ice cream. My grandfather, dad, and DH all have/had an ice cream tooth! I bought a cuisinart ice 100, huge thing, but make ice cream regularly, as well as sorbet. I find I do love homemade, it's not hard to put together, and I eat it in moderation.

I think sugar, like salt, gets a bad rap. Sure, many overindulge, but when you have control over the amounts you use, how much you eat, moderation works. My sugar tooth wants bittersweet chocolate more than any other type of sweet, and I have to be very careful about how much I eat : )

Save    
donna_in_sask

I've had three cheap canister ice cream makers in the last thirty years and rarely made ice cream because the end product and method were not that great. Store-bought ice cream these days are full of stabilizers and other junk, plus it's mostly air. I recently bought an ice cream maker with a compressor and that was a game changer. I received it less than a week ago and so far I've made a custard-based chocolate ice cream, lemon sherbet, lemon sorbet, strawberry gelato and vanilla chocolate chip ice cream. The one with the custard base was the most time consuming, the rest were 5-10 minutes of prep and 20 minutes to churn. It's easier than baking. ;)

1 Like Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Product Picks Guest Picks: Ice Cream Tones
Surround yourself with summer thanks to the fashion-inspired trend of ice cream colors
Full Story
Color Street Smart: Room Color Ideas from an Ice Cream Shop
Brooklyn mural inspires the use of playful watercolor hues around the house
Full Story
Your First House So You're Thinking About Getting a Dog
Prepare yourself for the realities of training, cost and the impact that lovable pooch might have on your house
Full Story