Have you learned to do anything new while in isolation?

two25acres

I've been learning about sour dough as have many people. I enjoy it and look forward to doing more with it. For now it's been rustic loaves and pancakes. My sandwich loaves haven't worked out yet but I'll keep trying. I've also started fermenting vegetables. We really like the sauerkraut, cucumbers and carrots. I've found with the sauerkraut I prefer about a 7 day ferment with pink himalayn salt. I refrigerate it on day 7 and take it out of the fridge daily to get to room temp before eating it. It remains semi crunchy and I prefer it that way.

I've also been sewing quite a bit more than normal. We have a very large leather sectional in a carmel color that has been getting to me lately. It needed a change so I made some big pillows and a throw in blues, greens, yellows and white to add some color to it. That has really helped. I made some patterns for some lounging clothes, tops and bottoms. I've got them cut out and just need to sew them up. I've been working from home which is just what I've been looking to do when I find a new job.

Have you learned anything new?

SaveComment14Like2
Comments (14)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hallngarden

I learned how to cut hair. Never in my life have taken one snip off my hair. Have always loved watching a professional cut and style. I normally get a trim every three to four week to keep a pixie in shape. Utube and watching hair cuts for the past 80 years helped me get up the nerve. Have cut my hair every three weeks since end of February. Also cut hubs. Now the back is a little tricky when you are cutting your own hair. I learned a technique that made it possible. Have been very happy with my results so far. Not in the league of a professional. Amazing what you can do, if you want.

Save     Thanked by two25acres
Raye Smith

Yes, that I despise lock-downs and being cut off from friends and family! Just how much I miss the enjoyment being with other people.

1 Like Save    
wildchild2x2

Since our county doesn't allow anyone to do horseback riding lessons my instructor the started Zoom classes on horsemanship for some of us that would like to continue our education. I've learned what to look for when choosing a horse to buy or lease how to choose a good boarding stable, costs of care first aid etc. Lots of detail on everything from conformation, respiratory and vascular system, how horses adjust to heat and cold (amazing system) feeding, foot care and conditioning for endurance,

I drive to another county that's more open to work Western horses once a week. Starting to feel a lot of improvement and confidence in that discipline and learning a lot too,simply by doing and experimenting with methods I learned before with "the cowboy way".

Save    
rob333 (zone 7a)

Up until today... Only finishing projects sitting undone. We just now decided we would do things we've NEVER done. We're excited! Thanks for the inspiration. I just tuned a guitar for the first time ever. He wants to go further (leaned basic cords in elementary), but I wanted to try. I was in wind ensemble, concert band, orchestra... All of it, so I wanted to learn how to tune it. Next, will be keyboard. I've always wanted to do that. Maybe violin next. He FINALLY wants to duet with me. He even played MY flute in middle school, and then marched where I marched in high school, but always refused. So glad. We may even try car body work. Stepping out, ain't we?

1 Like Save     Thanked by two25acres
Lucille

I have learned to make wonderful flaky biscuits, yummy pies, and my pizzas are continually improving. I chose these skills to work on because they bring happiness not only to me, but (eventually) to those around me. Friendship is understanding that sometimes we have to be apart, but a joyous reunion will no doubt be improved by a warm from the oven, delicious home made apple pie.

1 Like Save     Thanked by two25acres
dedtired

Yes, clean the house, do crossword puzzles and eat six meals a day.

2 Likes Save     Thanked by two25acres
seniorgal

One of these days I may master climbing the walls!

12 Likes Save     Thanked by two25acres
ghostlyvision

I've been painting a (space) nebula, I don't have any training in the arts but love doing any/every thing with my hands. The more I play around with shading and highlighting (which I'm fairly new to), contouring, the more life it's taking on. I hope hub likes it, it's for his birthday next month.

2 Likes Save    
nickel_kg

I'm learning to make milk kefir. I love the taste, could use the extra calcium, and it's supposed to promote good gut health. So far it's going well. Stir the kefir grains into a cup of milk in the morning, 24 hours later the milk is transformed: slightly thick, slightly tangy. Next goal is to work on 'second ferment' to add flavor.

Save    
DawnInCal

Thanks to youtube and other online tutorials, I am learning macrame. I think I am one of the few people on the planet who didn't learn this skill as a teen!

I want to incorporate macrame into some of my jewelry designs. These anklets are my first attempts. A simple braiding technique, but I'm please with how they turned out.

I've also learned how to make Mexican style pickled carrots:

And, the thing I'm really excited about is having learned how to make yogurt. It's easy, fun, interesting, has reduced the number of plastic containers coming into my house and it's delicious!

3 Likes Save    
bpath reads banned books too

I've learned more about sumps and storm sewers than I ever want to have to know. Also tidbits about the family business, family, etc, that I wish I'd known before.

Save    
glenda_al

Saying to myself "I can do this tomorrow". Sad

1 Like Save    
ravencajun Zone 8b TX

Well definitely learned how to make masks!

2 Likes Save    
functionthenlook

Learned more about what to do and where to go in the two states close to me since you can't do squat in my state.

Also the grandgirls and I learned how to make Starbucks cake pop.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Features What I Learned While Cleaning Out My Junk Drawers
A homeowner finds some surprises on her journey to junk-free bliss
Full Story
Upholstery Bulletproof Decorating: Upholstery That Stands Up to Anything
Kids and pets are no match for fabrics as durable as these, which meet higher style standards than ever
Full Story
Kitchen Cabinets Cabinet Paint Colors That Are Anything but Neutral
Craving some color for your kitchen? Consider these bright choices for your cabinetry
Full Story