SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
liz_ohare

Help! no one knows what is wrong with my plants!

Liz O
3 years ago

First time post, I can't find help to my problem anywhere - I'm hoping the fellow plant nerds here can help! Some of my succulents have developed these weird deformed leaves. It's not all the plants - not even all the plants in one pot - it's sprinkled throughout my various containers. I am an experienced succulent mama, and have never had this problem before. I have had a plant or two with weird leaves before but they always sort of figured themselves out, but this is spreading to more plants.

All the info I can think might be helpful: It seems to be mostly on 'loose rosette' types like echiveria pulvinata (where I first noticed it), graptosedum, but I now see it in the tighter rosette types like my superbum, von nurenburg and the like. The leaves seem to get deformed when they're first coming in, and I can't for the life of me figure out how to deal with this. It looks almost like a rubber band got put around the leaf as it grows and it ends up like hourglass shaped?!? It looks a little like the scarring you can get on cacti when they get growth scars. My sister said it looks like maybe munching trails from a pest, but I have investigated in detail and see no mealybugs or any other pests down in the leaves. I have spider mite issues on some plants, but this seems to be happening on plants that don't have that. I plant in a homemade gritty mix and the plants dry out between waterings. I'm in a warm area of the northern cali bay area, lots of sun and pretty dry.

Some of the pics are where it's pretty severe and some are where I think it's just starting out... does anyone have any idea what this is? Please help! Even just hunches are welcome!

Comments (3)